Suzuki DF140 Info? J.B.?

Duckbay

Cadet
I realize there are some pretty unhappy people out there, with regards to the camshaft issue on the DF70. I think it's a fine engine and the issue I believe, is Suzuki's lack of Customer Care when resolving problems in a timely fashion, without hassle.<br /><br />Has anyone purchased a DF140 this winter and sea trialed it. I think it promises to be a good prospect. However, when you a take an engine rated like the DF90/115Hp and bump it to 140Hp are you not stretching it a little?. <br /><br />J.B. whats the word from the south on this new power plant? Does anyone know if Bombardier will be adding this one to their badge in the near future?<br /><br />Thank you, David.

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DF140 Info? J.B.?

THE 140 IS NOT THE SAME ENGINE AS A DF 90/115 IT IS DIFFERENT .I HAVE SOLD AND RIGGED ONE ON A 20' KEY WEST CUDDY CABIN . THE MOTOR PERFORMED GREAT AND PUSHED THE BOAT TO A TOP SPEED OF 46 MPH ON GPS AND TURNED 6100 RPM'S.THE MOTOR HAS BEEN IN SERVICE NOW FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND HAS ABOUT 60 HOURS ON IT AND IS STILL RUNNING GREAT.BY THE WAY THE DF140 IS ACTUALLY LIGHTER THAN THE 90/115 IT WEIGHS 410 AND THE 90/115 WEIGHS 416 .THERE ARE NO MAJOR DESIGN DIFFERENCES IN THE TWO ENGINES BUT THEY ARE STILL DIFFERENT.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Duckbay.<br /><br />The Capt. is correct. They did start with the basic 90/115, but they upped the displacement to about 2.2 liters, revised the cam profiles and the ECU firmware and redesigned some castings for less weight. Result: a new engine.<br /><br />The displacement, by the way, is almost exactly the same as the Honda BF130, so it is not an overstressed engine, it is simply a brilliantly engineered engine.<br /><br />All of the reports I have heard have been enthusiastically positive.<br /><br />My grapevine says that the Yammy 150 that is in development is based on their F115 as well, and will come in under 450lb.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

The October 2001 issue of Power Boat Reports compared the DF140 against the Honda 130 four-stroke and the Evinrude Ficht 135. Its a pretty extensive report but the Suzuki fared quite well. It burned significantly less fuel, got the best mileage and ran the most quietly. If you're real interested, you can download it from www.powerboat-reports.com but it costs about 10 bucks.

Duckbay

Cadet

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies and info.<br /><br />Captain, I'm considering powering a late 80's Grady-White 20' Walk Around, with the DF140.<br /><br />The Weights <br />Boat 2650# <br />Powerplant 410#<br />Crew 400#<br />Fuel 320#<br />Fudge 400# Total ~ 4180#<br /><br />With your findings, do you think this would be a good fit?<br />Idealy I would like to cruise at 4000 RPM at 23 Kts @ 6 Gals per/hr.<br /><br />Most in the past have had 150 to 200Hp<br />2 - strokes. <br /><br />Do you think this is do-able, or I am I totally dreaming?<br /><br />Thank you! David. <br /><br />PS: J.B. are you with the CIA?

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DUCKBAY,YOUR GRADY WHITE SHOULD BE VERY COMPARIBLE WITH THE KEY WEST THAT I RIGGED.THEY ARE BOTH 20' WALK AROUND CUDDY CABIN'S AND THE WEIGHT SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME . THE NUMBERS I REPORTED HERE WERE WITH A FULL TANK OF GAS AND ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT AND TWO MEN ON BOARD ,ALSO WITH DUAL BATTERIES . BUT NO FISHING GEAR OR FULL COOLERS WHICH WILL MAKE A LITTLE DIFFERENCE.AS FAR AS FUEL CONSUMPTION I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THAT WITH NO PROBLEM BUT I COULD NOT SAY FOR SURE .AS FAR AS CRUISING A 26 KNOTS AND 4000 RPM'S THAT SHOULD ALSO BE EASILY WITH IN REACH. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW RIDE. IT SHOULD DO GREAT!

chinz

Recruit

Hi CAPTBLACKSMARINE,<br /><br />What prop where they running on the 20' cuddy with the new DF140? <br /><br />I have a new Campion 582 CC with the DF 140 on its way to me.<br /><br />Thanks for your help<br /><br />Chris :)

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CHINZ,WE ARE RUNNING A 20" PITCH STAINLESS STEEL PROP .. WHAT LENGTH IS THE 582 CHAMPION? I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEIR MODEL #'S VERSE SIZE.

Duckbay

Cadet

Captain<br /><br />Thank you, I'll update you if we can make it all happen.<br /><br />Regards, David.

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CHINZ, YOU MAY WANT TO TRY A 22" PITCH A 20" PITCH MAY NOT BE QUITE ENOUGH FOR YOU.

chinz

Recruit

CAPTBLACKSMARINE, What brand of SS prop would you recomend? How much $.<br /><br />Thanks for your help<br /><br />Chris :)

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WE USE THE SUZUKI BRAND S.S. PROPS .THEY SEEM TO PERFORM WELL ATLEAST ON THE BAY AND OFFSHORE BOATS WE SELL AND ARE VERY REASONABLY PRICED.EXPECT TO PAY 325.00-425.00 DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU BUY IT.