Yamaha 250 on 26 w/a

clop321

Cadet
Looking to purchase a 26' walk around with a 250 ox66 yamaha. Would this be considered underpowered ? Boat weighs aprrox (4200 lbs).<br />Concerned about getting boat to plane. Would twin 150's be much of a difference (i know the $$ is)?<br />Thanks

rbu

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 250 on 26 w/a

What make of boat? What are you doing with it? Offshore fishing? How far?<br /><br />I think that the 250 Yam will give you plenty of power. You shouldn't have any trouble getting on a plane.<br /><br />I have seen 26ft Sewswirl Stripers being pushed with a single 225 and their weight with engine is about 4700#'s.<br /><br />If you are going offshore fishing, you might want the twins for safety reasons. But if you are mostly inshore, bay etc ... the single should be fine. Put your money towards Sea Tow, or some equivilant.<br /><br />Just my opinion though.

clop321

Cadet

RBU:<br /> I am talking about the same boat. I will be max 5-10 miles out and I do belong to Seatow. The twins are a big step up on $$ so I was leaning towards the single. Thanks for the help !

jamschan

Cadet

I have a 26ft Intrepid with a single yamaha 250, it is quick to get up on plane and tops out at 44. I run to the bahamas 2-3 times a year on it and no worries. most of the systems on the motor are split, so it will run at least slow with a lot of major problems (like most outboards these days).<br /><br />As I understand it, two 150s would run about the same top end due to the additional water drag. To get more speed 200s up would be needed. and twice to feed, twice to break.