2 Cycle Oil

pfb15

Cadet
I have heard that yamaha outboards people say to use only Yamaha oil in there outboards.<br />I was under the immpression that all good quality 2 cycle outboard is similar if not the same.<br />Have used Havoline for years w/ no problems but am converting to yamaha outboards and the cost of there oil is very high!<br />Please respond with any feed back.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 Cycle Oil

pfb15:<br /><br />Call me simplistic, but I refuse to run anything but "Quicksilver" oil in my Mercury Outboard. My thinking is if Mercurt makes the oil and the motor, then they must know more about that motor than the other oil makers. <br /><br /><br />Just my humble opinion.<br /><br />Craig

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

The thing is, Merc, Yammie or other engine manufacturers don't actually make the oil. Refiners like Exxon, Texaco, Penzoil do.., Engine manufacturers may spec certain additives in theirs, and what info they want on their labels, but they do not make it. TCW3 is the specification that all good 2 stroke oils meet. If the oil meets TCW3, thats as good as it gets, and thats all you can hold anyone to. I would pick a quality brand TCW3 and go with it. Synthetics are better, (more uniform) and are higher priced because of it, thats a different discussion. I have never run engine manufactures oil, and I have never had an oil related failure. I have yet to see a post on this board claiming engine failure due to TCW3 oil failure either.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There have been many, many posts about this subject. My opinion is that any good quality TC-W3 outboard oil works equally well...whether it's OMC, Merc, Yamaha, or Walmart. <br /><br />Walt

pfb15

Cadet

Thank you for your posts, I to have heard that and probably will run synthetic. As a commercial, (with alot of time on his hands now) I use alot of oil, but like two strokes!<br />Thanks again