PROPELLER

easyliving

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 55hp on a 17' aluminum boat, weighing about 800 lb. dry and 1500lb with bait well and two people.<br />My mexican mechanic says I need a new prop. but because he cannot get the correct prop. for the American engine, he has found a prop. available with a pitch of 12" as opposed to the 13" pitch of the original. Please tell me if this change will have a considerable impact on top end speed, gas consumption at cruising speeds or any other detrimental effects.<br />Would you recommend that I install this as a permanent/temporary fix or should I just wait the month or two it would take me to get an original. Do you have any idea what a new propeller for the Yamaha 55 (1993) model C55ELRQ motor would cost?<br />Thank you for a quick response, the mechanic is waiting for a reply from me......Is a 12" pitch propeller less expensive than a 13" prop of the same size?<br />EASYLIVING :confused:

marcus32

Cadet
Re: PROPELLER

I don't know much about props but I do know you can order them online from bass pro.com or cabelas.com. Ihave used both and got quick turnaround. Not sure about their service to you however.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Go to Yamaha' web site, and do a search on some of my earlier posts. <br /><br />Yamaha will shop various motor and prop tests.<br /><br />My gut feel is you will need around a 14 or 15 pitch prop, if your boat fully loaded will weigh around 1500 lbs and your Yammy is running properly.<br /><br />And, you can go to www.westmarine.com for price shopping. An alum prop will run you around $125 and change. All are the same price, regardless of pitch. Stainless is more expensive.

novacane

Seaman

its like changing your rear axle gears moving from 13 to 12 will make the boat quicker with less hi-end speed feul ecomey<br />will suffer a skoche too how i understand it is for evey revolotion the prop turns it will go 12 inchs through the water 13 would of course move it 13 inchs per 1 prop rev not engine rev less load out engine will allow it to taCH up quicker but will run out of stream at hi cruise i agree though dpending on where your max rpm was on the 13inch sounds like your combo could stand 14<br />or 15 but of course you didbt give the diameter of it witch plays a role in all of this too :D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Since you are looking for a minimal increase in RPM, have you tried raising the motor? An increase in the X dimension (reduced drag) may get you what you want without the expense of a new prop. If the move doesnt work you can lower it back down. This may improve holeshot and top end while getting the RPM you want. <br /><br />All of this is guessing the motor is running correctly. What RPM can you turn now?<br /><br />Good luck?

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quote - "My mexican mechanic says I need a new prop". I assumed it was damaged if not, I agree with playing with trim. His prop size is pretty close to recommended size anyway.<br /> :) <br />Mike

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes. Try different trim (angle) positions especially after you change the X dimension (height).<br /><br />Good luck!