150 Yamaha/ What Prop

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 Yamaha/ What Prop

john H- I have a 60 galoon tank on my 87 yammy 150. when full, I take a 1 hr. ride at 5000 rpm. it will consum almost half. I then started to make that route back but this time at 3500 rpm- then up and down a little. This time i made the trip in 1.5 hrs. When started the tank said a little pass the half mark.-- I end up moving the needle a little below the half way point. <br /><br />Ofcourse every boat is different. All you have to do is make a trip at 5000 rpm. then do the same trip back at a lower rpm. You'll note the difference.<br /><br />wait, one last thing. I forgot to factor in the weather conditions and other factors that can effect the results. <br /><br />running at 5000 wont hurt your engine. Hey I do all day long. GAS permitting. These engines were design for high revving. Just make sure you have oil, gas and water, spark and you'll be okay!<br /><br />well, thats my experience with my yammy 150.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took another ride yesterday on the same boat and the motor would only turn about 5100 rpm but was very impressed with the power the boat had. The salesman said the problem wasn't in the prop before, they had to rebuild the carbs because they had gas in them that turned to gel. Very impressed with the boat and motor, although it only had a half a tank of fuel (50 Gallons) but sure was a lot of power with the 150 Yamaha. WOT is between 4500 and 5500 so I think the rpm is close to right. What do y'all think?

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

JohnH, sounds like you are there.<br /><br />If it were my boat, I would run it for a few trips now, just to let everything settle in.<br /><br />I would also make a mental note that if I bought a spare prop, I would get one with 1" less pitch (same diameter). I would swap props and see which one I liked better, and leave the favorite on the boat.<br /><br />On you r question about running the motor too hard, I have never heard of anyone blowing a boat motor as long as they have oil and don't exceed the mas RPMs (5500 in your case). You will suck a lot more fuel running it hard. <br /><br />I'm guessing, but your boat/motor combo will probably get the best mpg at around 4000 to 4500 rpms. You will learn more of this as you watch how much fuel you use on various trips.<br /><br />Good luck with her.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to everyone for the Replies I have certanly learned a lot from everyones help and input. will try and make the deal on the boat monday if it hasn't sold after the sea trial yesterday. wanted the rest of the weekend to think about the whole situation before I decided but didn't tell them to hold it till Monday. I figure if it would sell in one day then it wasn't meant for me anyway, I will let everyone know if I come home with it tomorrow or not , but once again thanks to everyone.... John