150 Yamaha/ What Prop

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Took a Sea ride on a 22' cuddy cabin and the 150 wouldn't turn up more than 3500 rpm's. The Salesman said it had the wrong prop and was just wondering what would be the right one for this setup. We are suppose to try it again this weekend, and would like an Idea of which prop I should be looking for before we go out again. I know the 150 sounds small but this is a used boat and will have to stick with it, just wanting to get the most out of it. Thanks

steverino

Cadet
Re: 150 Yamaha/ What Prop

I have a Crestliner 22' Great Lakes with a 150 hp Mercury. I bought it used last Oct 31, so I haven't had a chance to use it except for the sea trial when I bought it. The motor has a three blade aluminum prop that is 14" diameter and 19" pitch. This is a fairly light aluminum hull fishing boat set up for fishing on Lake Michigan. I hope that this information gives you a baseline.

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

john H - been fishin with a buddy with a chris craft 22' cudddy WA - the speedometer says about 38 mph/ but you know those things are always inaccurate.<br /><br />But honestly, a 150 is okay for a 22 cuddy. Just think about it. If you go with a 200 or 225, you use more fuel and might go a little faster. but you'll never get to the fishing hole any faster than 5-10 mins. But you are fishin right? NOt racing so, in m opinion a 150 would suffice.<br /><br />but thats my opinion and expereince

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

oforgot- i got a yammy 150 on my wellcraft steplift v20. its enough power for me - with full tank and 3 grown adult.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks ! I wanted a couple of opinions on this, I wasn't thinking of more speed though with the bigger motor but was thinking that I could maybe not run as many RPM's to do the same speed which in turn may save a little on fuel. This would probably not be enough of a saving to go through the hassel of trying to get a bigger motor though.Thanks again and hope I can get out there fishing soon..

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with rbu. Find out what prop is on the boat, and put one on it that has about 8" - 10" less pitch.<br /><br />The whole deal smells a little fishy though. Be careful with this one, and make sure you know what you are getting.....

rbu

Seaman

Something does not sound quite right.<br />What was the prop that was on it? What year engine?<br /><br />Generally speaking, a 1" change in pitch will result in a 200 rpm change. That engine should be getting around 5500 rpm's at WOT. If you are only getting 3500, that's a 2000 rpm difference and that equates to approx. a 10" pitch difference over the correct prop. This is just a wild guess but the correct prop should probably be around 15" of pitch. And a 3 blade prop. Any chance it is a late 1980's engine? If so, they usually used 13 3/4" props so you should try it with a 13 3/4" X 15" prop.<br /><br />Why would a salesman sea trial a boat knowing it had the wrong prop? I sure as heck wouldn't run a boat around with the engine struggling to make 3500 when it should be turning 5500.<br /><br />This is just my 2 cents.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a new motor and boat, It has been previously bought but never used so the motor still is under warranty. I really couldn't beleive it was just the prop myself but then again this is a first boat for me so I don't know much. This is a 2001 motor and boat. I was thinking maybe because the boat has never been in the water that maybe the cables just needed to be adjusted or something of that sort. Not so much Prop Problem.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Uh, maybe I missed something here, but the post title asked about a prop.<br /><br />Just kidding, you are correct JohnH. Many many things can prevent a boat from reaching full throttle.<br /><br />If it is a new boat setup, I would not start out with the prop.<br /><br />If you know the weight of the boat, you can go to www.mercurymarine.com, and plug in the numbers to get an approximate prop pitch estimate. Just pick a 150 HP mercury motor. It woun't be exact (because the motor gear ratio will probably be different), but it will give you a ballpark prop pitch.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply , The Dealer told me it was the prop so that is why I posted a prop question, Thanks and will see if I can find the right setup

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

couldn't get the site to work for me, will try again after while

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

john H. they're correct. once you get started. a change in the prop and it will make your boat go a few mph faster, but at a lower RPM. that means your engine is not working so hard which equals. less gas consume.<br /><br />depends on your needs --- very funny thing, i was doing my trailer at the boat ramp wed. and my buddy came by to test his new prop. it worked and he got a used stainless one for 50 bucks. now he has a back up and a new pitched SS prop.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Let's B-B-q, that's a bargain your buddy got. I came across an SS prop that was the incorrect pitch for my boat, only paid a $100 for it and it's brand new. Passed it on to my buddy for the same price, he was happier than a pig in @#*t. Man, must be nice to have the boat out wether it's re-doing the trailer or cruising, I'm up here in Chicago and the weather sucks! Maybe sometime soon I'll be posting about the Largemouths I slayed over the weekend.

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

495v - dang?? another coincidence, I'm going back to chicago for training next week for 3 weeks. My firm is on Michigan ave. next to the new Nordstrom. Your Lake Michigan is similar to our Gulf of Mexico. Funny coincidence.<br /><br />Did you know that I was looking at a grady white on EBAY for only 5k$. its a fine deal who ever wins it. and he is only 1.5 hrs away from chiago. so- i am tempted to bid. its still on if you wanna look at it. <br /><br />anyways.... funny thing. yeah, i'm enjoying mid-70s down here. but then a cold front is coming and its suppose to drop down to mid 50-60s this weekend. heheheh, just rubbing it in. !

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

nevermind. when i last checked it, it was only 4000. now its up there at 6000.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Y'all , We are going to take this boat back out again tomorrow and will see which pitch the prop has this time, the max on the motor is around 5500 rpm's what do y'all think would be a good cruising rpm for this motor?

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

5500 rpm? wow. thats alot. your motor is working hard. what is the rpm on the tach? Mine says 7000. but they recomend no more than 5000. I usually get her on plane at about 3000 and then cruise . I get about twice as much better gph than i would wide open. To me. wide open is about 5000. i can go 5500. But dont want my motor going that high.<br /><br />If you are at 5500 - just note how fast you are going now. mph. at what ever RPM. when you change to a diff. pitch prop. note the rpm and mph.<br /><br />when you get a higher or equal mph at a lower rpm - (lets say 5000 or 4500) than I think I would stick with that one cause your motor is turning less therefore consuming less. <br /><br />something to think about. --- but i might be completely wrong. someone out there slap me silly or slap me a high five.

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First the basic desire in proping a engine to a boat is to allow engine to run in its designed power band....this should be with your average desired load...to prop to do otherwise will lug engine and is one of the prevailing causes of early engine problems.....so if maker states your engine should run between 5000-5500 rpm at WOT then thats what you should shoot for.....if holeshot is not acceptable then you may have to sacfice and go to a lower pitched prop but still don't exceed max rated rpm.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The manufacturer says WOT should be between 4500 and 5500 but know I don't want to run the motor at 5500 all the time, although was wondering about 5000 or would this still be too hard on the motor?