Yamaha 75/85 Gearcases

mikeyb

Recruit
Can anyone help me out??<br /><br />I have a Yamaha 75 (1992 approx) with a cracked gearcase. I also have a slightly older Yamaha 85 gearcase. Are they interchangeable??<br /><br />The only difference I can see is that the 85 drive shaft has a spring loaded pin at the splined end that locates in the power unit. What does this pin do?? <br /><br />Any help is very much appreciated. Thanx.

mikeyb

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 75/85 Gearcases

Hello again,<br /><br />Being new to this forum and now having checked some of the previous pages and found some brilliant advice and help, I'm sure there is someone here who knows the answer to my previous posts question about the Yamaha 75/85 gearbox interchangeability.<br /><br />Being stuck out in the Middle East is no good when you need some good advice from knowledgeable mechs.<br /><br />Beers and cheers,<br /><br />Mike. ;)

crazyray2

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guy can't be much help to ya but if you will just be patient sure someone will be able to....what with the events of last 10 days not as much importance to this board..... hang with us...... :)

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MikeOman,<br /><br />Typically gearcases and lower units do not change very much from year to year. The powerhead and upper portion of the outboard seem to see a lot more change.<br /><br />Yamaha is known to change their powerheads often enough to be a royal pain when it comes to getting a replacement.<br /><br />My guess is that if you are going to find the answer to this question then you will need to be as accurate as possible on the parts. Do you know the exact year of the Yamaha 75? How about the slightly older Yamaha 85? If you don't know the year then model and serial numbers should help.<br /><br />-bayman