Yamaha Power Trim question

abel

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />I have a Yamaha V4 115HP 1996, and decided to use a cleaner corrosion to clean the contacts of the 2 relays of the power trim.<br />When I assembled all the parts one of the relays becomes locked. I called the mecanic and he did some tricks with a multimeter while Im at the remote control moving up & down the power trim & tilt switch when the mecanic asked me.<br /><br />The question is: What he did to release the relay using a multimeter. Maybe some short circuit at the relay ? He didnt want to tell me what he did.
tongue.gif
<br /><br />Another questions: What are the necessary steps to do some eletrical tests in the relays, like voltage, short circuit at the relays to release it and etc.<br /><br />I really would appreciate any help on this.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

SeaBear

Seaman
Re: Yamaha Power Trim question

Shame you had a smartass mechanic who wouldn't tell you what he did? My guess is he was only using a multimeter as an indication of which connections were live, etc when you selected switch positions ... I also guess he discovered a wrong connection which you may have accidently done when you reconnected it and corrected the problem but to make himself look like a magician he left you with an air of mystery! Either that or he accidently fixed it without actually knowing what he did and rather than admit that he bluffed - how much did he charge for this? BTW - in case anyone thinks I have a downer on mechanics, I used to train Jaguar dealer mechanics [I used to work at the factory] and there are good and bad in every trade but I can't abide the 'trick of the trade' attitude!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Abel. Like SeaBear I spent a large part of my career training wrenches, twidgets (electronics/robotics/computer techs) and coneheads (programmers and software engineers) and I have a lot of respect for technical service professionals. That makes me very unforgiving of incompetence and dishonesty that tarnishes the image of the "good guys".<br /><br />I have refused to pay for "service" that the vendor couldn't or wouldn't explain. . .got arrested for it once (in the end the so-called tech paid a fine for fraud). I think it is reasonable to insist on being told what you are paying for, or don't pay.<br /><br />I would at least complain to the BBB.<br /><br />Smooth waters.<br />JB
smile.gif

abel

Cadet

SeaBear and J.B.,<br /><br />He just made me a favor. It didnt cost me anything. He only have used the multimeter. He didnt use any other tools, because there wasnt wrong connections.<br /><br />Im just courious what he have done to fix it.<br /><br />What about the necessary steps to do some eletrical tests in the relays ? Any sugestions ?<br /><br />Thanks for your replies.<br />Abel.

abel

Cadet

Hi all,<br /><br />Anyone that can help with what steps we need to do to test if a relay is ok or not ?

SeaBear

Seaman

Well at least he didn't charge! Look a multimeter is just a meter! It tells you if there is elctricity present and how much, etc. All you can do it test for voltage at each terminal on a relay when its at rest and energised and deduce if it is working correctly. I don't know what you meant anyway about the relay being 'locked'? That suggests a wrong connection somewhere that permanently feeds the relay coil?<br /><br />Basically you have an electromagnetic coil in a relay which when fed with a voltage will energise, create a magnetic field, pull on a plate that is in that field which in turn makes and/or breaks contacts depending on the design. Some relays have one coil, others have multiple coils. Some have one set of contacts and others have more ... but the operation of each set within the relay remain the same - switched coil which makes/breaks contacts! They might not work at all but rarely 'jam' on!

abel

Cadet

SeaBear,<br /><br />Sorry for my bad english. Im still learning.<br /><br />Locked to me, means that the coil or another mechanism inside the relay dont want to move. Its stopped. So I think that the macanic did some kind of short circuit to free it.<br /><br />Is it possible ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Abel. I'm not familiar with the mechanism you are working with, but here is some general information about relays and electrical testing.<br /><br />Some relays are simply electromagnetic switches. Energize the coil and they "pull in", de-energize and they "drop out". The combinations of "normally open" and "normally closed" connections are in the thousands.<br /><br />Other relays are "latching" relays, and there are two types: Electrically latched relays close a circuit when energized that keeps them energized until that circuit is broken. Magnetically latched relays have a weakly magnetized armature that "sticks" when briefly energized and stays "pulled in" until a second, "unlatch" coil is energized. Latching relays also have a seemingly infinite number of possible combinations of connections.<br /><br />So, you can see that there is no easy answer to your question.<br /><br />A multimeter is useless unless you know what to expect when measuring voltage or resistance between two points. Once you know what should be there, you can find out if it is, and if you know why it should be there you can make sense of the measurement.<br /><br />Sorry if that makes relay systems and electrical troubleshooting sound a lot more complicated than it really is. 90% of the time, on a boat, you simply want to know if you have 12volts where you are supposed to, and 0volts where you are supposed to.<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br />JB
smile.gif