tcw2 or tcw3

warrenp

Cadet
i have 2 OBs a 96 15hp yamaha and a 96 50hp force which additive should i be useing in both....and what does tcw stand for?? and whats the difference between the two<br />thanx <br />Warren

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: tcw2 or tcw3

Use tc-w3. It replaced tc-w2 some years back. I'm not sure what it stands for, but it indicates the oil meets certain standards.

Little Bear

Seaman Apprentice

TCW stands for: Two cycle water-cooled. TCW-3 oils have more anti-carbon additives and such than earlier oils.<br />Good Luck,<br />Little Bear

warrenp

Cadet

thanx just wanted to make sure i wasnt hurting my moters in any way. I did go out to wal mart today and picked up a gallon of tcwc3 it was $6.96 iv been running tcwc2 in both moters that was given to me by a friend i think i have 4 qrts left and if its not going to hurt them i think ill use them up first<br />thanx again<br />warren<br />ps I stoped at a marine store on the way they wanted $11 a gallon for the same stuff!!

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I noticed you paid $6.96/gal., same as I used to pay. Now I pay $5.94 @ Wal-Mart. I thought prices were the same nation wide there. My feeling is you will be ok using the remainding 4 qts. of tcw2, but the 3 is a "no brainer" for the near future.

mikec

Seaman Apprentice

So.. oil is oil? Am I burning $ when buying $11 twc3 instead of $6 twc3? And what about the synthetic, it costs more, it must have little or no carbon, correct?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This topic has always amazed me. People spend BIG bucks on a boat and motor, put high test fuel in it (even when the manufacturer tells you not to), spend THOUSANDS on equipment and use the cheapest oil they can find. <br /><br />Any rating (TCW, TCW2, TCW3) is a minimum formula required to obtain that rating. OEM's and some major brands far exceed that minimum. Mikec is right, synthetics are very good but expensive. Current testing and evaluation shows the "blends" are proving to be very good in production recreational engines. <br /><br />While most oils offer protection under ideal operating conditions, what happens if the water pump suddenly quits? Or you injest water? Or if one of a million other things goes wrong? Oil is your engines lifeblood. Don't skimp.<br /><br />Think about it.

Little Bear

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know if the use of synthetics will reduce carb deposits or varnish? <br />Thanks,<br />Little Bear

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to further the discussion. Is the oil refined at separate refinerys for the respective outboard manufacturer? or does it come from the same few refinerys that all oil comes from? and if so, where are the differences added in to it?

warrenp

Cadet

i was just saying how much i paid ....what someone pays has no bareing on how much there willing to pay. if you can buy the same item cheaper then buy it! I wouldnt think of walking into a boat dealership and saying give me that one! i would find the boat that i wanted at the lowest price. And that goes for oil also

markcv4

Cadet

Food for thought<br /><br /> My understanding from what I read once is that all the engine manufactures put the maker of there oil out for bid every few years. Meaning that some years you could be using pensoil and maybe the next year you could be using castrol or something else, but in a merc or omc or yamaha jug. The article that I read a few years ago said none of these companys make oil, They make outboard motors. So has anyone else heard that, because it does make sence.<br /><br />Markcv

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well....octane in gasoline...decarbing outboards...now oil price/quality....GAWD I CANT BE QUIET!!!!! for anyone willing to listen to ANOTHER diatribe by the oddd1, here goes....tcw2 oil was around for years and worked well in the relatively low stress/decent fuel era it came from.......once fuel qualities changed [for the EPA and the auto manufacturers] the manufacturers of 2 cycle outboards were saddled with an alarming increase in warrantee failures....for whatever reason,piston scuffing, ring coking, carbon buildup....the end result is a recomendation to use a better quality oil to retard these problems.....hence the nmma/obc designation of a oil with an enhanced additive package, TCW-3...<br />Now, if your an oil company that needs to market your oil at a tcw3 rating to be competetive in the market, do you add a enough compound "X" to just get by the ratings minimum spec or enough to protect the engine?????<br />and once you get a tcw3 rating from the API or SAE {i forget} do you maintain that level of expensive compound "X" or maybe slide just under minimums...heck whos watching???<br /> now, if you are a engine manufacturer and warrantee your engines/oil would you flirt with the minimum spec or go with a safe margin of compound "X" in your blend???? Christ we are already charging dealer prices for it..it better be good....would be awful embarassing haveing our motors failing on our oil....<br />you can argue with this line of reasoning all you want, human nature will eventually prevail...people will usually do what you expect of them, an money certainly makes the world go round....LOL...

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

anyone got some cold water for ODDD1????<br /><br />actually, i completely agree with him. just to put in my two cents....i hope like @#$* that someone will dispell this, but i heard it so i have to repeat it. i was purchasing a carb rebuild kit for a jetski ($100 vs $30 - found later on internet) @ a local marine shop when i heard someone asking the diff b/w "2" & "3". answer was basically same as above. however, "expert" behind counter said to run (oil injected) "2" completely out before switching to "3" because the two were not compatible. I AM NOT KIDDING. like a dumb*** i did not say anything about running an oil tank dry. i am no rocket scientist, but compatible or not, i know i am not going to run my oil tank dry. i would just assume run the less inferior oil that has been working just fine. comments??????<br /><br />mason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I've made enough mistakes trying to pinch a penny that I decided: In most things getting the best product you can get at the best price you can get it for is, in the long run, most economical. Best doesn't mean most expensive, it just means best.<br /><br />Ban smoke and carbon!!<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

warrenp

Cadet

My goodness im thankfull for all the input...now if i could just get this many answers to why my 96 50hp force runs rough at idol!! Thanx guys<br />warren<br />PS and dont tell me its the walmart oil LOL