Suzuki DT115 battery recharging problems

Chris_MI

Cadet
I have a 1983 DT115 that seems to have trouble keeping the battery charged. I've had this motor for about 8 years and it runs fantastic and has low hours. Since it has left me several times with a dead battery on the lake, I attempted a little trouble-shooting. First I ran the motor in my driveway and measured the voltage with my old multitester at the battery posts and tried to detect a difference in voltage when the motor was running vs not running. I measured 12 volts even in both cases (I hoped to see 13 or 14 maybe while motor was running.). I checked all fuses from the rectifier to the positive output lug on the motor and it's fine. I suspect that the high speed recharging coil is in need of replacement. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be seeing higher voltage than 12 volts while motor is running? I'm not a repair tech--just trying to troubleshoot my motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />Chris

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki DT115 battery recharging problems

My 1980 dt50 will run the battery voltage upwards of 14+ volts while running high rpm's for any extended lenth of time. I believe there is a voltage regulator rectifier box on the block somewhere. I did have some probs with my motor with the fuse holder not making a solid connection within itself. Required taking out the fuse and sliding the wires and terminal ends out of the rubber sections and physically remaking at least one solder connection. (replace the fuse while you are in there) Also it had some grounding issues at various points where the components took ground off the block. These are some things you can look at yourself before seeking proifessional help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Chris. with the engine off a fully charged battery will read 12.6 volts (2.2 volts per cell), They are charged by applying (ideally) 14 volts +or- about .5 volts to the battery from the charging system. Different OEMs and different models have different approaches to design of the charging system, but all of them should supply 14 volts at a fast idle. If you still measure 12 to 12.6 volts your charging system is not functioning.<br /><br />Yepblaze offers the first step: check and clean all electrical connections. No luck? Get a manual and start circuit tracing. Please don't go buy a part until you have verified that it is broke. Some wrenches wont sell you a stator unless you can show him that the one you have is bad. That way he can't be bad-mouthed for selling you parts you didn't need and that didn't fix anything. I am bad about bad mouthing guys who charge for fixes that don't fix.<br /><br />Good luck. Let us know.<br />JB
smile.gif

Chris_MI

Cadet

I ran the DT115 today. This was the first trip out for this season since it's been such a cold spring here in Michigan. I watched my dashboard voltage meter while running at various speeds. At idle it was just above 12 volts, but at 3/4 throttle it got up to about 16 volts. I did trace the circuits a couple of days ago and had the fuse out and all. Maybe my poking around fixed a marginal connection. I think it's okay now, but just in case I'll keep a set of jumper cables along to jump start it from my deep cycle battery if it fails again. Thanks alot for the tips guys!<br />Chris