V4 Yamaha 115hp, oil injector?????

stilesdm

Recruit
I have a 1986 Yamaha V4 115hp, My oil resevoir is full, But after running for approximately 15 to 30 minutes the alarm sounds at the console, and I can not run it over 2000rpms,(like its suppose to when the alarm sounds) but if I turn off the boat, and wait about 15 minutes, it will start back up and run fine, for a little while, and then it happens again. Also, sometimes there is exsessive smoke coming off the engine, sometimes its so bad it looks like the boat is on fire. I have replaced the impellar in the lower unit, so I don't think it's over heating. It's an outboard motor, and I have it on a 24 foot pontoon boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated..stilesdm

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: V4 Yamaha 115hp, oil injector?????

The smoke you are seeing,where is it comming out of the motor? Is the paint on the block behind the head blistering?<br />Can you physicly touch the block behind the head without going to the burn center?<br />You should be able to touch it for 5 seconds or so,without wanting to pull away. If you can't, it is overheating. And seing how you have just changed the impeller, I would suspect the thermostats. I've never worked on this particular model, but the symptoms are the same on all of them.<br />Also, pull the plugs.They should be black and slightly wet. If they are dry and brown,you are correct in your diagnosis of<br />no oil from the can. Is it using any of this oil?