Help Rectify my Rectifier

Retro

Cadet
Any experts out there on Yamaha charging systems? Earlier this month, I bought a new rectifier, and had the motor charging upto 14 or so volts. However, I charged up my battery a week or so ago (deep-cycle), and now my charging systems doesn't seem to want to work any more. <br />Will the rectifier ground out all voltage when the battery is fully charged, with nothing drawing any power? My battery is at 12.3, but I guess I have gotten 12.32 or so with the motor running. I replaced the rectifier again, hoping this was the problem, but it didn't solve anything. Also, I get 14-16 volts AC off of the lighting coil (two green wires and a ground come from the lighting coil), and I'm under the assumption that this AC voltage goes into the rectifier, where it is converted to DC, and some is sent to the battery and the rest is grounded out, depending on what the battery needs. <br /><br />Any help would be most appreciative for this problem. This motor is turning into more and more of a headache every day! (It's getting so bad, I'm thinking of setting up an appointment with the outboard repair shop up the street!!!)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help Rectify my Rectifier

Retro, I'm no Yammaha expert, but it sounds like a shorted cell in the battery. Try pulling the positive lead off while it's runnning and look for at least 14VDC at the terminal,without the battery involved.<br />Deep cycle batteries must be trickle-charged, or charged at a lower rate than 3AMPs.<br />Any more can cause the plates to warp and short.I've even heard of them exploding when put on a "boost" charge.<br />You are correct, that the alternator circuit puts out 14-18VAC,and the regulator rectifies<br />it to DC volts.

markcv4

Cadet

I had just posted the other day that I had problem with fire on my merc. With the help of the board and some help form the troubleshooting part of the web site www.outboardparts.com I got my problem cured.<br />The only thing that I read somewheres is that you should not use a deep cycle battery on you motor circuit. It puts out too much voltage when charged and can kill your electrical parts. Maybe someone can tell me if that is true. It is the first time that i have heard of it. If it is true, it might be hurting yours.<br /><br /><br />Markcv

Retro

Cadet

Thanks a ton, 12footer. I pulled off the connections to the batter, and she was at 15 volts or so easy. So I'm assuming the charging problem is elsewhere, say, the battery. I'll pick up a starting battery tomorrow and cross my fingers that it'll end up working great!<br /><br />With my working charging system and new fuel pump, I'm hoping my excursion on Spring Lake tomorrow in southern Minnesota will be a successful one.<br /><br />Thanks again. Hopefully I won't have to write again for a while!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes yes yes
smile.gif
Deep cycle batteries are meant for trolling motors. Get at least a 75AMP cold cranking car battery,and your charging system should keep her hot.,<br />On this topic, if you carry a trolling motor, keep a deep cycle battery seperate for that, charge it with a small trickle charger, and think about re-routing all onboard electrics and electronics to the troller's battery.<br />This leaves the engine with a hot starting battery at all times, lightens the load on the charging circuit, and your onboard drains will die if over-stretched...But you'll crank-up and get home.