Outboard Engine Hours

musike

Recruit
I just purchased a boat with twin '88 yamaha 200s that have 890 hours on them. The compression checked out good and they run fine. Any opinions on there life expectancy?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Outboard Engine Hours

I am interested to hear what the guys say on this one. I have a 79 Johnson 150 that was dormant for 7 years but I am sure it got at least 100 hours a year before that and closer to 150 for the last 3 years since reviving her. After some tweaking this year she still runs fine. That would put the engine at 1500-1700 hours, but that is just an estimate. The lions share of that time would be trolling at 1400-1700 rpms. Is that more or less stressful on an outboard that planing speeds?

Dunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Outboard Engine Hours

Although I don't like Yams I have several buddys running V6 Yams with over 2000hrs on them. As long as you maintain them, and keep the propped right they should live. The most important thing is to keep them clean inside of carbon. This means using a carbon cleaner like Seafoam, Merc Power Tune or Yam Ring Free in them every 50hrs running time. I prefer the 50hr shock treatment over the constant feeding of Ring Free type products to the engines, but Yam does recommend a steady diet of it in your fuel.<br /><br /> Another thing you want to check on those older yams is the shift shaft. Yam was in the process of stealing designs from OMC and Merc at the time and missed the fact the other were using Stainless Steel shift rods that run from under the powerhead down into the gearcase.<br /><br /> Anyway if the shift rod are rusted and they need to be changed the powerheads have to come off. This can be big problem on a 10+yr old Yams. They don't like to come apart. I mean your talking twisted off bolts and at 60-80 bucks an hr for labor it can get wild.<br /><br /> If you are buying this rig from a private guy then pay a Yam mech to look them over and ask him about the shift rods.