Engine Boggs

Retro

Cadet
My yamaha 50 still boggs down when I gun it from a stand still. I'm gonna tear the carbs apart tomorrow, but wanted to know if this is the place to start. I can usually rescue it with the choke, and it doesn't do it all the time (though it does most of the time). <br /><br />Could this be a timing problem? I'll squeez the primer ball when it's happening, and this has no effect, so I'm assuming it's not a fuel pump issue.<br /><br />Any last thoughts before I tear the carbs apart would be great.

Re: Engine Boggs

I had the same problem with my johnson 85 It turned out to be a faulty tank hose connector on the tank end. As far as I can recall the squeese bulb went a bit limp.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Check the bowl,sounds like it might be water in the bowl or the fuel tank.<br />Fuel pumps are easy to rebuild. The kits are cheap,and it only takes an hour or so from start to finish.

SeaBear

Seaman

I have just had this problem on a Mariner 3.5 and it turned out to be dirty jets and I mean dirty! I would suggest completely stripping the fuel system and cleaning every single jet and orifice until you are satisfied that there is no dirt in it and fit an inline petrol filter?

Retro

Cadet

Well, tore the carbs apart and cleaned them out. The line off the tank to the engine is new, so the bulb feels pretty solid. I ran the engine in a converted trashcan, and she did quite well, actually better than she did with the muffs on before I cleaned the carbs. Does running it out of a can provide any of the backpressure necessary to check if it will run well in the lake or not?<br /><br />Anyway, I'll probably drag it down to one of the local lakes and see what she can do in the "real" enviroment. But I'm optimistic, seeing the difference between yesterday and today. Time will tell.<br /><br />------------------

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Merc 1150 had too lean a mixture when I had the problem. It now runs fine, I just adjusted it richer. I doubt the tank test will let you know if you have a cure. Hope you figure it out....

Retro

Cadet

Well, it ran somewhat better in the water today, but still bogged down at times. I decided to pull apart the fuel pump, and found the gasket had one spot with some pretty severe tearing, and the diaphragm had some nice tears, too. Could this be a likely source to the problem of bogging down the engine had?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, retro. Yup. Fuel pumps cause a lot of bogging at w.o.t.<br /><br />happy boating.<br />JB
smile.gif