No Flow Yet No Heat

rotti77

Recruit
Upon cruising around the wonderfully markered Tampa Bay, we hit ground several times at night trying to get home. 96 Yamaha 200HP sucked up a lot of silt and was overheating, so we removed and cleaned the intake filters before moving on. Everything was fine for awhile with a great pee stream and then the pee stream stopped yet we did not overheat (no alarming/throttle limiting occured) and water pressure was good. Therefore, I am assuming the watet impeller is still doing its job and only the pee line is clogged. If this is possible, any hints as to how to unclog the pee line?<br /><br />Thanks in advance boards.<br /><br />Jon

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: No Flow Yet No Heat

Yes,rotti77.<br />The telltale is just that, a telltale.<br />It's there to reassure us that the cooling pump is pumping.<br />Remove the t-stat,and clean it out .Also, remove the discharge tube to the telltale,and clean it.Many times,tho,a heavy leader or other makeshift poker will open it up without having to rip and tear. You can do this while engine is idling,and You'll know "right-quick" if it's open
biggrin.gif
<br />Good luck. Tight lines.<br /><br />------------------<br />Quater Horse; The kiddy ride in front of K-Mart.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

PS: I can relate to the "Marked" channels!!!!<br />Same maintainance plan down here in Ft. Myers.
mad.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Quater Horse; The kiddy ride in front of K-Mart.

rotti77

Recruit

12 Footer, thanks for the quick response. New to engine self fix it, but a quick learner. Unfortunalty, the discharge tube is running free and the clog is more internal. Am I right in assuming the t-stat is located somewhere within the lower unit? I think I will be spending the day today learning the art of lower unit removal, eh?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jon

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The T-stat will be in a housing somewhere near the plugs. Some have a clip holding the lid on,(like that on a brake fluid resevour on a car), while others (most) have 2or3 screws.<br />Most of them look just like a thermostat out of an auto,only smaller.<br />When u remove it, start the motor on the muffs and see if flow is restored. This will also allow any debris trapped behind the T-stat to flush-out.<br />I'd try anything before dropping the lower unit. But if it's been a while since you installed a new impeller,by all means, that would be prudent.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Quater Horse; The kiddy ride in front of K-Mart.