Yamaha Pro 50

Retro

Cadet
I can't get my Yamaha to charge. I've tested through the fuse, and I get battery voltage readings. I've tested the AC and DC voltage off the three green wires coming from the lighting coil (I grounded these to the battery), and got just about nothing. SHould I have gotten well over 12V on this reading? Help!
smile.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha Pro 50

Yo, retro. Somewhere in there you have at least one rectifier diode that could be either open or shorted. Because the charging system makes AC the rectifiers are necessary to convert it to DC to charge your battery. Even then a DC voltmeter may read very low because the charging voltage is pulses, not constant.<br /><br />Use your meter to verify that each coil is not open (low resistance to ground) then track down your rectifier diode(s). Each should measure about 15 ohms in one direction and very high ohms in the other.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

Retro

Cadet

I'm pretty sure I have isolated it as the rectifier. I get about 14 volts AC coming out of the lighting coil, but I'm not getting anything above battery voltage once it goes through the rectifier. So I'll get one of those ordered and try it out. Thanks for the advice!

Retro

Cadet

Any experts out there on Yamaha charging systems? Earlier this month, I bought a new rectifier, and had the motor charging upto 14 or so volts. However, I charged up my battery a week or so ago (deep-cycle), and now my charging systems doesn't seem to want to work any more. <br /><br />Will the rectifier ground out all voltage when the battery is fully charged, with nothing drawing any power? My battery is at 12.3, but I guess I have gotten 12.32 or so with the motor running. I replaced the rectifier again, hoping this was the problem, but it didn't solve anything. Also, I get 14-16 volts AC off of the lighting coil (two green wires and a ground come from the lighting coil), and I'm under the assumption that this AC voltage goes into the rectifier, where it is converted to DC, and some is sent to the battery and the rest is grounded out, depending on what the battery needs. <br /><br />Any help would be most appreciative for this problem. This motor is turning into more and more of a headache every day! (It's getting so bad, I'm thinking of setting up an appointment with the outboard repair shop up the street!!!)