is motor big enough??

vulc123

Recruit
I am looking at buying a 19 foot Carolina skiff 190 Bay runner (sea chaser)and the dealer has a 60hp yamaha installed on it. Is this motor enough for this size of boat i.e. weight is approx 1680 lbs. and I reallly need to know if he is skimping on the less powerful 90 hp. ?? He offered a test drive and said mid 30mph is about the top speed. Am i getting the shaft or the right deal??

chieff

Cadet
Re: is motor big enough??

Vulc,<br />That motor is too small for that size and weight of boat, it will most likely not plane out right. Also look at the max hp plate on the boat and go as close to that Hp rating as your pocket can afford. Don't let a dealer talk you into a boat just to be paying payments on a boat later that your disatisfied with. Trust me I had an under-powered boat once and it gets old fast.<br />Hope this helps<br />Chieff

Delta Dog

Cadet

I agree. I have seen too many carolina skiffs and polar craft skiffs under powered. I would test drive the 60 so you have a base point for your decision. Then I would test drive the 90. Hopefully you will not buy anything without test driving. I believe you will have to go as close to the rated hp. max as possible for any kind of reasonable performance.<br /><br />Good luck!!

vulc123

Recruit

Thanks guys just making sure
smile.gif