Frozen Suzuki

Ernie Blum

Recruit
Can anyone help? I've got a 16hp Suzuki engine that I believe is a 1981 model(Model #DT16...Ser. # 1602103270) The engine was in great shape until it sat for a couple of years or so, and now is quite frozen. I've been adding WD-40 to the cylinders for a number of days now, and attempting to crank it a little by attaching a socket to the flywheel nut. So far, I haven't budged it a 1/4 inch, but I have managed to round off the flywheel nut a good deal!<br /> Any suggestions on freeing this little sucker up, and how might I get hold of another flywheel nut? The engine was apparently made in Japan, and I was told that this model was only in production for three years. I've been to all the places that one would rationally go to to find the nut, but with no success. Even though it may have only been in production for three years, I can't imagine that they retooled the crankshaft. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br /> Thanks.<br /> Ernie

Re: Frozen Suzuki

A problem with most portable outboards. When the gearcase is raised, after use, higher than the powerhead, water runs up the pipe into the block. If its salt, good luck. If it was fresh, try Blaster, Engine Tuner, Mystery Oil, etc. Poor it threw the carb(s) as well as the cylinders. Let it sit a few days, or longer. Make sure the gearcase is not why it is locked, as well as the starter, shift position, throttle, etc. Drain the oil in the cylinders and try to free it,(with plugs<br />out, if you needed this information.) Get a new nut from a dealer and make shure it is tightened properly.<br />Good luck, if it you get it running, double the oil mix and slowly gain trust in it.

Ernie Blum

Recruit
Re: Frozen Suzuki

Mike,<br /> Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, the darn thing started to move since I posted the note. It hasn't been satarted, but I suspect that the carb will be full of gunk, and so I will let it soak in one of your recommended spirits!<br /> Again, thanks for the reply.<br /><br /> Ernie