Yamaha F100 Four stroke

Yamafan

Cadet
Parted with my Johnson 90 after 10 years of faithful service. Any experiences out there with the above Yamaha? I bought one but could find little information other than dealers on the net. So far 50 hours I'm happy. It trolls well, is quiet, pulls a skier and sits on my Lund TYEE 5.3 quite nicely. Only one problem it smokes periodically on startup. Dealer claims this is normal?? Mileage is at least 50% better at 7MPG (measured) than my old motor. Part of the reason for upgrading. I considered only the Honda and Yamaha 4 st but bought Yam as the flywheel and starter arrangement were on top not the bottom and this struck me as easier to repair if needed.

Billy

Recruit
Re: Yamaha F100 Four stroke

Hi, Yamafan I don't have enough knowledge to answer you question, but you said you use the F100 to pull a skier. Im considering on buying the F115 Yamaha to replace a FORCE 125. Do you think the F115 will pull skiers well? I go to Lake Mead allot for vacation and understand the EPA will not be allowing 2 stroke engines on fresh water lakes in 2002. Any help you can give me. Thanks Billy
Originally posted by Yamafan:<br />Parted with my Johnson 90 after 10 years of faithful service. Any experiences out there with the above Yamaha? I bought one but could find little information other than dealers on the net. So far 50 hours I'm happy. It trolls well, is quiet, pulls a skier and sits on my Lund TYEE 5.3 quite nicely. Only one problem it smokes periodically on startup. Dealer claims this is normal?? Mileage is at least 50% better at 7MPG (measured) than my old motor. Part of the reason for upgrading. I considered only the Honda and Yamaha 4 st but bought Yam as the flywheel and starter arrangement were on top not the bottom and this struck me as easier to repair if needed.

Yamafan

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I made the jump from a 90 HP Johnson to the 100 Yamaha with no noticable difference in pulling a skier. My boat is a deep V and not inherantly designed for skiing but I have no problem what so ever pulling myself 225 lb 6'2" out of the water nor any of my sons friends. It accelerates fast enough to get up on plane for those that can start on one ski that way. It sounds as if your options are limited with the rules. I know of only one boat here with Ficht and its a 150 OMC. He is happy and it is fast. It is mounted on a 18.5' Princecraft Deep V. He goes by me with no problem when I'm at 37 mph. I fish a lot and the mileage is a real bonus as I have to carry my fuel to the boat dock as there is no vehicle access. Carrying half the fuel is a bonus. I am located in Northern Ontario and have had no trouble starting my engine in the cold weather here. Currently about 28 d F.

Firetrol

Recruit

Hi Yama fan,<br /> I bought twin Yamaha 100 hp 4 strokes for my Radon to use in Hawaii and I really love the motors. My fuel consumption is around 4 gph for all of the use. Much of my time is spent trolling at 2200 to 2700 rpm's and that makes my fuel consumption between 2.1 to 4.1 gph. That is measured with a fuel flow meter. It proves out when I refill. I have had some days where the consumption is under 3 gph depending on the type of fishing. Live bait trolling is about 1.2 gph. One of my motors smokes when it starts about every 4 or 5 starts. It seems to be after shutting down and drifting for an hour or 2 that this occurs. I have never seen the other motor do this. I now have 82 hours on the motors and they are starting to have a very slight flutter when at idle in gear trolling with live bait. I suppose it is getting to be time to change the spark plugs which should be changed at 100 hrs. This is only noticed at slower trolling speeds. Hope this helps, at least it adds to data base.

Yamafan

Cadet

Thanks for your response. It is currently 20 degrees below zero so my boating days are done and it's time for snowmobiling. I'll check back regularly for updates. What does your dealer say about the smoke?<br /><br />Yamafan

Fitch

Seaman Apprentice

Good chance there is a problem with a seal on the valve stem allowing oil to drip in the cylinder when the engine is shut off. We have been selling the Honda's and the 4 strokes are great.<br /><br />------------------

Yamafan

Cadet

Thanks Fitch<br /><br />I wish it were warmer here as we use up 75% of warranty time with 4 feet of snow. I have made my dealer aware and next spring we'll keep an eye on it. Why is this intermittant and not consistant with operating style. It happens after a high speed run or after a lug like tubing, it also happens after idling like trolling but not always.<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback.<br /><br />Yamafan