4 Strokes: 115 EFI Honda VS 115 EFI Yamaha

MikeB

Cadet
Ok, I have the cash in my pocket; have done a ton of research; have come down to 2 motors. The Honda has the rep of being around a long time and being "bulletproof" It also weighs about 85 lbs more than the Yamaha and has a 2 yr warranty vs 3 for the Yamaha. Their cost is within $200 of each other. The Honda has the larger block, but power to weight surely goes to the Yamaha - not an insignificant consideration since the motor will be perched on the transom of a 17ft boat. One of these motors is going on my 1995 Starcraft 170 Superfisherman (17 ft). Most of you know more about these things than I do, so which one do you suggest? Thanks for any suggestions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 Strokes: 115 EFI Honda VS 115 EFI Yamaha

Wow! That's sort of like choosing between a Mercedes and a BMW. Either way, you win!<br /><br />I would go with the Yammy, based on the weight alone.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Buy the Yamaha, not only for the weight but the extra year of warranty.

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice

fouled plug is right and there are many yamaha dealers vs honda<br />I had a yamaha 250 after three years it had a crack in the power head one month before<br />warranty expired they fixed with a smile<br />try that with a suzuki were they lie about <br />warranty look at this forum how many people<br />complain about suzuki warranty problems .I had<br />them I never had a honda but I would always <br />go with a winner yamaha

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My rescue squad bought a Yamaha (90) 4 cycle for our dive boat. We have been VERY (I mean VERY happy with it. Very quite, stout, and no problems. <br /><br />Less weight, better (or longer) warenty....<br /> go for it.

MikeB

Cadet

I really appreciate the input. It seems you guys think the Yamaha to be the best choice, all things considered. I was certainly leaning in that direction. The Yamaha it is!!<br />THANKS, Mike Brown

JRJ

Commander

How's the new motor?