Yamaha 130 hp 2 stroke vs. 115 4 stroke

JPetit

Recruit
I think I've got a new boat picked out and I'm unsure what kind power to put on it.<br /><br />It's a 19' 1200 pound v-hull that's made for shallow water fishing (often refered to as a "Bay Boat").<br /><br />I want to cruise, fish, wake board, and ski.<br /><br />The boat currently has the 130 hp 2-stoke yamaha, but the dealer says that he would switch it out for a 115 hp 4-stoke for "free."<br /><br />From what I can find out, the 130 2-stoke costs about $1000 more, and guess that's why the dealer will switch it out for the lower powered 115 4-stroke for "free."<br /><br />Given my requirements what should I do here?<br /><br />Is the 130 hp v-4 relible? I know the 130 is going to be a stronger motor (lowend especially) but can I ski with the 115 4-stroke? In the long run which one is going to cost me more?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for the help.

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha 130 hp 2 stroke vs. 115 4 stroke

4 strokes are much better environmentally. They are also much larger and heavier. Torque is much lower but they are quieter. What make is the 4 stroke? You would be better to try a similar boat with that HP 4 stroke and test for power etc. on the water if possible.<br /><br />Liam

JPetit

Recruit

Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Both motors are Yamahas, sorry about the confusion.<br /><br />I'm not sure I will have the luxury of demo rides with both motors.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The 4 stroke probably is about 100# or so heavier, but it should be plenty to push that hull. I think in the long run it would really pay off in reduced fuel and oil consumption. Have you ever taken a ride in a boat with a big 4 stroke outboard? Smooooth. :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take the 4 stroke, JPetit!! That Yammy 115 EFI is one of the best, and once you have had a 4 stroke you will never look back. I don't believe the popular idea that 4 strokes haven't the torque of 2 strokes. My Suzuki 70 4s is both quicker and faster than my OMC 70 2s was.<br /><br />They are as easy to operate as a car, and your family will love you for it.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Economical,smooth and better smell dont necessarily go hand in hand with wakeboarding and skiing. Go with the power and dont weigh your boat down and end up with a underpowered slug. Get a small 4-stroke trolling motor later on if you want the best of both worlds. Unless you are a devout environmentalist and drive your boat to work everyday, the 2-stroke will always be the way to go,IMHO.<br /><br />Be leary of anything that is "Free". Also I suggest doing a search of previous topics on this subject in this forum. Ultimately it will come down to your personal needs and preferences. If a 4-stroke is what meets your needs, then great. Just make sure you get what you actually need, lest you become one of many posters complaining about power and speed. Good Luck :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd go with the 4-stroke and get him to sweeten the pot with other accessories if the difference between the two engines is $1000.<br /><br />Suggestion: How about sweetening that pot with a second prop. Preferably a 4 blade stainless with a lower pitch which will come in real handy for wake boarding and skiing.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I would go with the 4 stroke, even though you lose 15 horses and gain some weight. 4 strokes have much better low end grunt than two strokes. Two strokes need to be in their powerband to be any good, and the powerband is way above idle, whereas the 4 strokes torque begins a bit off idle. Better economy and ecology are a plus as well. I think the 4 stroke will do better for skiing and wakeboarding just because of the torque coming on lower in the rpm range help to bring the skier up. The power difference really isn't that great between the two, so you have to look at the other benefits. Good luck either way...

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personal like the Alum boats better with a full windsheild. They are easier to trailer and last longer. I think any outboard will work great I would not rule out a smaller 4stroke honda like a 100, great motors.