suzuki tilt trim problem

fishhook1

Recruit
Had my motor in tilt position when loading it on the trailer and forced it back down with the outboard.Now tilt and trim won't hold motor up.Did i blow the seal in the tilt cylinder? If so where can i parts to fix it.

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: suzuki tilt trim problem

Not sure what you mean by forced it back down with the outboard. Do you mean by pushing on the motor you forced it down? If so, I guess it could have blown something. You can get parts from a local suzuki dealer. They list them on their web site, I think it's http://www.suzukimarine.com <br /><br />One thing to try, first. There's a little screw on the tilt cylinder (at least on mine, which is a 1979) that's used to release pressure in the cylinder. Not sure how to describe this well (I should keep my manual with me :) ) but basically it's a flat head screw, and if I turn it a quarter turn tighter so it's tight all the way, the slot will be up and down, and the pressure will be released. This way you can manually tilt the motor. If I turn it counter-clockwise a quarter turn so the screw is horizontal, it's locked again.<br /><br />You should also check around the cylinder to see if you can see the oil dripping out of it. That'd be a good indication it's got issues, I would think.<br /><br />I'll see if I can find anything else helpful in my manual later on tonight, though it won't be until late.