Yamaha 8 hp - No spark, got ripped off.

massimj

Recruit
Yamaha 8 hp - No spark, got ripped off.

I bought a 86 Yamaha 8 hp outboard last week. I saw it running whebn I bought it, but I didn't pick it up for two more days. When I went to use it I got nothing but wet plugs over and over. Never a sputter from it, no sign that it ever wanted to start. I waited for near dark and went out and checked for spark, and got nothing. What could have been replaced by the guy that sold it to me that could cause no spark and would cost enough that he would do such a thing? The engine is very clean, and I tried to use starting fluid on it with the gas line removed, still got no sign of life. I am sure that I have no spark. I would suspect the coil, but I doubt it cost enough for this guy to take it back after I left. So what's the next most expensive part that could cause loss of spark?<br />I'm new to this group, but you will be seeing more of me. I am always willing to help anyone with anything. My other engine is a Yanmar 1GM. Thanks Joe in Florida :) :) :) :)

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Yamaha 8 hp - No spark, got ripped off.

Are you overlooking kill switch?

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I will really show my dumbness.<br /><br /> I had to get towed in one time because I did not check the kill switch. My grandson was on the boat with us and I never thought to look at the kill switch when it would not start. I checked everything and no spark. I could not for the life of me figure out why it would quit sparking. I was having some problems with it and hoped it would quit (so that I could find the source of my trouble). When I got it home and started to go thru my manual - it kept refferring to the stop switch. Finally it dawned on me that they were refferring to the kill switch. You guessed it - my 5 yr old grandson had pulled it when I wasn't looking. I never fool with it so I did not check it.<br /><br /> Oh well, That is how things happen. :) :) :)

massimj

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the kill switch has the clip in place. I also tried pulling the kim switch out a little further than the clip would hold it, and worked the switch in case something was in it. My next step will be the put an ohm meter on the switch and see that it is working. Is it normally open or closed for the engine to run??? Thank again. :)

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is pulled out to make an open circuit so as not to kill the spark. When it is in the in position it makes the circuit go to ground and not spark. ;) ;)