Yamaha control cable replacement

terrybridge

Seaman
are the throttle cable and gear cable the same for a '99 2 stroke ox66 225? Don't have boat near me and want to purchase before next trip. Boat. Want to do them both at same time and I can't find cables listed on parts list. I do know the length I need is 16'.
Thanks

napkinthief

Cadet
not 100% sure, but i believe the throttle cable is seperate from the shift cable. mine seems to have 3 cables running into engine from shifter. i havent taken it apart but will be replacing it with a yamah 704 when i scrap up a couple hundred bucks

jc turtle

Seaman
You need to know the exact length of the cable. Is 16 ft the cable length? You should probably replace both cables at the same time as there is not much extra work to do them both. I replaced both my cables this spring and it now shifts smooth as silk. There are many places that sell the cables. Do your homework and get a good set. Good luck, John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Motor uses 2 separate but same style cables. They are sold buy length so measure them

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you dont want to measure, most cables are hot-stamped as to length on one end. but you still need to know the length in order to buy them

emoney

Commander
Y'up, buy two of the same cable once you know length. Tie a line to each cable end at the control box and you'll be able to pull the new ones through once you get the old ones out.