2007 Yamaha F250TXR Will Not Start

mcinniwl

Recruit
I have a 2007 F250TXR with 800 hours. We were recently making a trip down the river. As we were making a turn, we had to make an abrupt throttle back due to other 10-12 PWCs being directly in our direction of travel. We were doing about 25-30 MPH, pulled the throttle back and accidentally hit reverse on the way down, but immediately pulled it to neutral. The engine went dead and has not turned over since. Starter engages but does not turn the fly wheel. With throttle in neutral, the prop turns freely.

Any guidance as to what might be the issue?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
A place to check troubleshooting would be to measure the voltage at the starter while cranking the motor. What's the condition of the kill switch and lanyard if you have one? I would also pull the lower unit drain plug to see if there's any metal shavings on it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Remove lower unit and test...sounds like you broke a clutch dog an debris is jamming gear rotation.

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, definitely drop the lower unit, and try turning the drive shaft by hand. You probably won't be able to. And if you drain the gear oil, I would assume you'll see metal bits come out of there. You should load-test the battery just to be sure it's good, but it sounds like the slip into reverse has jammed things up.