Is my gas tank causing bad VST filters....

ScottWyler

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have an ox66 225 HP. Great motor but I’m having a little bit of an issue that I fixed but seems that it’s coming back again the issue that I had was that anytime I went over a wave when I would smack down off the wave my motor would surge ... it turned out that it was a clogged VST filter... since changing that filter I do not have any issues but now it seems that when I am driving the motor on flat calm water I do lose 300 to 400 RPM not as significantly though could the filter be getting clogged again? if so what could be causing the filter to get clogged again because when I changed it I also cleaned the VST tank and didn’t see much debris... i will attach two photos. they are both the same filter. one picture was taken when i took the filter off right away so it was wet. the other is like an hour later when it dried...

105421457_10157023732751603_2365631310536313277_n.jpg

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/106007532_10157023733296603_8956706857642160030_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=CLZlX1ND3jcAX--j0WT&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=31a8ee4f5f0bff1eac42f5c082f6362b&oe=5F17988C

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How did that get by the separator?

What micron rating is your water separator?

Yamaha recommendations a min. 10 micron filter. Some run 5 micron

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
what dingbat said. do you have a water/fuel separator filter installed?

ScottWyler

Seaman Apprentice
I do have a Fuel water separator installed, yes. Should i change that? I thought that filter only filtered out water from getting in the motor not debris tho? I guess i am wrong??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I do have a Fuel water separator installed, yes. Should i change that? I thought that filter only filtered out water from getting in the motor not debris tho? I guess i am wrong??
It's separates water from the fuel but it's primary function is a particle filter.

Looking at the pictures, your filter is either full and passing contaminated fuel or you are not using a 10 micron or better filter.

The inexpensive 40 micron filters sold at big box store are best used to remove gravel and sticks from the fuel.

The filter should be changed when full or annually, whichever comes first.

ScottWyler

Seaman Apprentice
It's separates water from the fuel but it's primary function is a particle filter.

Looking at the pictures, your filter is either full and passing contaminated fuel or you are not using a 10 micron or better filter.

The inexpensive 40 micron filters sold at big box store are best used to remove gravel and sticks from the fuel.

The filter should be changed when full or annually, whichever comes first.

OK, should i change the filter inside the bowl or just buy a whole new bowl that comes with the filter as well. How is this sold and I am thinking if I just replace the whole bowl does it come with the fuel filter inside?

robert graham

Admiral
I sawed open my fuel/water separates cartridge once and it looks just like an automotive oil filter with the yellow pleated paper element....my filter had been on the boat at least a couple of years and there seemed to be very little visible debris in it.....last couple of years I’ve just unscrewed my cartridge, dumped it into a clear container for inspection and screwed it back on.

ScottWyler

Seaman Apprentice
I sawed open my fuel/water separates cartridge once and it looks just like an automotive oil filter with the yellow pleated paper element....my filter had been on the boat at least a couple of years and there seemed to be very little visible debris in it.....last couple of years I’ve just unscrewed my cartridge, dumped it into a clear container for inspection and screwed it back on.

ok so should i change it? and also should i put a fuel filter on board like before my primer bulb hose?