DF115 flushing question

Panama Tom

Cadet
I have a 2005 Suzuki DF115 that I am flushing using the hose Input on the side of the housing. I have been using this since last year while I was working on fuel problems. Today I put the boat in the water and nothing came out the telltale.I ran it for about 15 minutes and it went into limp mode. I went home and flushed it using a muff and no water was going through the engine. I switched to the hose input and I had full water flow.

My question is does the hose input bypass the water pump burning it up? From the symptoms it looks like the water pump ( which I replaced earlier this year ) is not working, but I would like an expert opinion.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Panama Tom

RaginCajun82

Cadet
Not an expert, but I learn from the school of hard knocks and listening to others. Question: While flushing using the hose input, did you have the engine running? That is a no-no and will burn up the impeller...Only way to really tell is to pull the lower unit and see that the impeller is okay.

Panama Tom

Cadet
RaginCajun82 Thanks For the Input, Yes the engine was running and yes I DID BURN UP THE IMPELLER and the water pump housing and the seals on the main shaft. I am waiting for the pump housing and shaft seals so I can reassemble and test again.
I feel like an IDIOT because it's logical that the only way to get water to the impeller is through the bottom. :mad-new:

Thanks again,
Panama Tom