Bent Crankshaft? 2008 25MSH

ShadowGrass

Cadet
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have a bent crankshaft but please review and confirm.

How would this happen? Can I blame one of my boys?

Are there any cheap fixes, A shop complete rebuild probably doesn’t make sense on an inexpensive motor like this, but it was great before this happened. it does start and run in this condition.

Is this doable at home with fair mechanical skills?

Please note the wobble, one video is slow motion:

https://youtu.be/vvPNCcCCDz0

https://youtu.be/x5rR9uJDnak

Thanks

Perry

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I was not there but my guess it happened while trying to remove the flywheel.------Or post more on this.----There has to be more to this story.-----Crankshaft assembly is ~ $700 + shop labor would put it into an outrageous price.----Best look for another motor.

ShadowGrass

Cadet
I have owned it for 4 seasons bought used like new zero paint loss spotless clean on a 22” boat. 3 seasons it started on a half pull and idled as smooth as anything I have ever owned. The last season it started getting harder to start maybe took three or 4 pulls, also noticed the whole motor was wobbling at idle.

Took it to local dealer assuming miss on one cylinder they said there was a scraping noise from the flywheel area and asked if I wanted them to go further. I brought it home and took a look as shown in the video, no further.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 12' boat ?----Perhaps the motor was over speeding , too many RPM.----Perhaps the multi piece crankshaft came loose / broke.----Time to take it apart.

ShadowGrass

Cadet
Thanks, what about the chances of a guy with fair mechanics skills successfully doing this at home?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No special tools required to take the motor apart.-----Other than a flywheel puller.----Might rent one if need be.--Likely a good learning project for all.----Step # 1 would be to contact a shop to correct this if it is a flaw with the crank.-----Individual parts for the crank may not be available -.------I do know that my 8 year old grandson was very eager to learn how to put a new impeller in his outboard motor.

robert graham

Admiral
Find/buy a motor like yours, same make, model and year....keep your old motor for spare parts....a spare parts motor is a very nice thing to have!

ShadowGrass

Cadet
Thank you raczekp1, your YouTube skills are excellent, I appreciate all the links and watched all of them.

It looks like I should ship the motor to the guy in Russia, he is clearly an expert.

Those videos make the tear down look reasonable. i would have to get the crank work done by someone else, I don’t have access to a press.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
just pull the powerhead and split crankcase . just only from the carb siede.
do not touch spark plugs side.
crank work rebuild is in my area 100$ + bearing costs.
shipping from usa to poland is +/- 50$ in one way.