Cleaning 150 Carbs w/ Ultrasonic?

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
3 Clogged carbs are on workbench. I have rebuild kits. Am wondering if there is any benefit to using ultrasonic cleaner compared to spray can carb cleaner.

If so, what solvent should I use in ultrasonic?

Any advice will be appreciated.

harringtondav

Commander
You're headed in the right direction with immersion as a first step. Using a good immersion cleaning solution is important. I still use Gunk brand. If you already have an ultrasonic cleaner, use it, but I wouldn't pay for one unless a simple soaking fails to get results. Second step is any good aerosol carb cleaner with a straw to blow out the passages. Last, a good compressed air blow through the passages.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Soak the dismantled carb bodies in Acrylic Thinner for some hours and blow all fuel passages with carb cleaner using the provided straw.

Happy Boating

tperk100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally - Carbs installed. Fresh gas. With fingers crossed, went to start engine submerged in 1/2 of 50 gal drum. First noticed that primer bulb now gets hard to where it can't be pumped any more. It has NEVER done that before and I always wondered why. Cranked her up and was pleasantly surprised. Started right up. Idles faster than before. VERY responsive when punching throttle. Can't wait to get her on the water. But before that I need some help with tuning.

When I worked carbs, I set idle mix screws to same amount of turns as they were when I took carbs off. Read that to tune them just turn them for fastest idle. I turned two of them and could not detect any difference by listening to idle. Is this important? If so, how do I adjust them?
Thanks much!

robert graham

Admiral
After you get the carbs synced and running great consider draining each carb float chamber a couple of times a year or for lengthy lay-ups....then with clean, fresh gas and some stabilizer in fuel you may never have to do this cleaning again....