Gimbal knocking noise

Yupeee

Cadet
I have a Yamaha I/O 1990 4.3 V6 engine to which I did an engine overhaul. It did not worked when I bought it, so now is the first time when it comes to live in my hands...
While doing this, I had to pull out the transom, everything looked OK, just lubricate and put it back (after doing the alignment, of course...).
After a year of work, I finally started the engine :) , which is working good.
BTW, I did an adaption to Mercruiser manifolds, as Yamaha are priced to heaven...
But back to transom... As soon as I fired the engine, I have heard a knocking noise coming from the back of the engine.
The noise is heard only at idle.. As soon as I rev up a bit (not much), the noise disappears.
I've read about noise from gimbal/transon area and most say it's the gimbal bearing or u joints...
To pinpoint the real culprit, I would need some other's experience with this.
I guess a worn-out gimbal bearing would make grinding noise, and continuously, not related to rotation speed.. Mine it's like knocking two metal pieces and definitely once per rotation... More likely are u-joints, but I need some feedback, for two reasons:
- Yamaha parts are very expensive and I do not want to order something that I would not need replaced.
- I cannot afford to keep the boat "open" until I find the culprit, then order the part and wait until comes...
Just want to stress that the knocking sound is the highest in low idle (say, 700 RPM) and fades away while rising the revs. It completely disappears a little over the idle speed (say 1100 RPM)... Over that speed, no noise at all....
The gear shifts well, but here I have another question> When putting into gear (forward or reverse), it makes a noise like when you put in gear a car without using the clutch. Is that normal?
Any advise will be much appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Gimbal isn't usually a knock.
Not sure but there might be a grease zerk on the side(there is) of the gimbal housing? try greasing there?
Pull the lower unit and move the u-joints.
Try greasing them?

Yupeee

Cadet
Guys, I guess I have found the issue...
After taking out the transom, it was obvious that the alignment was wrong (not too much)... Strange, as I did the alignment last year...
Anyhow, the gimbal bearing and U-joints are all OK...
Just did the maintenance and I will return with a post after putting back the transom...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You can run it with the drive off. Put a hose on the water intake. If the noise is still there, its not the drive system. As far as the grinding sound when putting into gear, don't shift to slow. That's what rounds off the clutch dogs. Shift quickly, and firmly. There should be a detent on the shifter itself that let's you know when its in gear, going beyond that you will pick up speed.

Yupeee

Cadet
Update: yes, it looks like a missalignment.... The coupler is BAD (!). This was the culprit also for the knocking noise, as the middle of the coupler is metal (heavy) and at low RPM it was just hitting the bellhousing. I do not have an explanation to this, as when I put it together a few monthes ago it was fine (alignment, too), and the engine was only started for testing (not in water)...
So, I will take the engine out to change the coupler, and I will get back here to input the results...