How much play when spinning prop shaft?

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys - i have my lower leg apart as i wanted to inspect the gears and dog clutch.. however i CANNOT get the bearing carrier out as it is completely stuck.. i have broken two tools attempting. I decided to drain the oil and it seems okay so i figured i'd leave it alone for now.

I did notice that when in gear i can spin the prop shaft about an 1/8 of an inch before it actually engages the gear and spins the main shaft going to the engine. Basically i can wiggle the shaft spinning it back and for and here it clinking against the forward gear.

Is this normal?? thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 2 HP motor or a 300 HP " belch fire " special ?------A model # perhaps.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Normal.----But why do you want to take it apart ?----What did the oil look like ?-------Salt water motor ?

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
salt water motor - oil looked okay just old but no metal.

I was experiencing issues under load (with lots of passengers) where it almost felt like the prop was slipping (it would sound like RPMs rose and we went slower - it also seemed underpowered compared to the year before).. i was thinking maybe the clutch dog is worn.

I am currently rebuilding the powerhead completely so thought i'd go over everything.. but it has proven impossible to remove.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the oil was found clean but darkened or smelly, with no metal shavings at all you went ahead to make a deep inpection that was not required at all. If the motor loses speed while the rpm rises when boating with higher loads check the prop. Perform a prop hub/slip test, will know if It's already spun or on its way to become so. If so, proper time to order a new one..

If will be boating with higher loads or passengers on a constant basis install one less pitch from the current one if happens to be the prop that came factory delivered with said motor. Will push/plane the combo faster than with the current one.

Happy Boating