F9.9 CMH 2008 Yamaha Ticking noise.

w2much

Lieutenant
This occurred to me today. The bulb lit. I thought of something. Usually I assume the answer or look it up or ask in theses forums. As the motor warms up I get a ticking from what I have assumed was the valve lash or to do with the rocker assembly or at least valve related. I thought to take off the valve cover and adjust as usual but then the above happened. I thought outside my regular pie. I loosened the fuel pump screws thinking (uh oh) that for as many times as I have done valve adjustments , sometimes with success and sometimes not so much. Can the fuel pump be making the noises I am hearing. It seems there was a marked difference in the sound when the fuel pump screws are loosened. I know the pump rides on a cam, , then there are the flapping leaf type valves in the pump. Has anyone found the fuel pump to be the issue , not a valve adjustment .to be the cause of the noises we take for granted as being valve related ? I appreciate your replies. Thanks

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
when is the ticking the worst? under load? at idle? neutral, forward or reverse? does it change when you speed up ?

w2much

Lieutenant
I would have to say at idle, the longer it idles. Really I have not used it under load . Its a test barrel runner which I planto sell.