Very sluggish on acceleration

binspector

Recruit
I purchased a Skeeter ZX22V bay boat with a 2006 Yamaha F250 TXR with 350 hrs on engine. It has new fuel filter and water separator and new spark plugs. It runs at idle very smooth and quiet. When I try to get it on plane the engine is trimmed all the way down and it seems like it takes at least 20 - 30 seconds before it will finally get going. Once it is up it runs perfect. Me and a friend in it at 5800 RPM get 56 mph. so I doubt if this is anything serious but I just don't know where to start looking. I have been told it could be old gas and others told me it could be the timing is off. I am open for suggestions.
Thanks!
Bryan

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't trim the motor all the way down, do some trim testing, start neutral going down in steps. Check if the hole shot gets better at any other trim setting than at fully down.

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’ve always cringed when I see recommendations to put trim all the way down to get out of the hole.

I have yet to run a boat where you needed more than just a bit of negative trim, if any, to get on plane.

On mine, I set the top of the motor parallel to the surface of the water (~neutral trim) and bury the throttle. Get up on plane and trim up until I reach max. fuel economy on the gauge

Before running fuel metering, trimmed to maximize rpm

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With 2 boaters up is 5,850 wot rpm the max rpm range for that motor ? Digbat has a good trim point. For a faster hole shot while the motor is trimmed to neutral will add a correct motor/transom heigh match along a spot-on deck weight distribution with motor running as usually loaded between middle to max of its wot rpm range, although running max rpm is preffered by many boaters.

Once on plane reduce throttle to maintain a perfect plane and fuel economy...

Happy Boating

binspector

Recruit
The RPM for that motor is between 5500 - 6000. I was checking the fuel and the water separater when I noticed the primer ball had been installed backwards. The arrow was pointing towards the front of the boat instead of the engine. It was also not very tight so I'm thinking maybe it was picking up air. I'm wondering if that could be my problem.