2018 Suzuki DF30A Knocking sound for a few seconds on cold start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Suzuki DF30A Knocking sound for a few seconds on cold start

I have a 2018 Suzuki DF30A, mounted on a JV15 center console Carolina Skiff. The engine makes a rattling or knocking type sound when I start it for the first time of the day. Last year around this time of year is when I remember first hearing something, but I thought it just sounded like exhaust sounds before water filled the passage, or maybe just the combustion sound in the cylinder. I am not sure if it is louder now or just bothering me more. Could also be related to the temperature dropping outside.

Besides the noise, it runs perfectly and I have not noticed any unusual sounds from it at any rpm. I have taken very good care of the engine and have not run it hard. I usually cruise to my fishing spots at about 4300 rpms after getting on plane. I have changed the oil more often than required.

I run Seafoam in the tank at 1 ounce per gallon as a preventative measure, and I installed a water separating filter with site glass shortly after purchasing the boat.

I can only estimate how many hours are on the engine since I have only had the oil light flash the one time for the 20 hour service, I have always changed it and reset before it flashed again. I am not sure if this engine is suppose show the hours on the rpm gauge like the DF70A that I have on my pontoon boat does, but it is not doing it at this point. I would be shocked if this engine has 200 hours on it, maybe not much over 100. Most of the places I fish are only 15 - 30 min ride from the ramps.

I uploaded a video to You tube so anyone that is interested can take a listen to what it is doing. I am hoping someone here may have seen this issue before and can let me know what is going on, whether it is something normal or bad. If anyone has any advice, I would be glad to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OB3xesKHUo

Thanks in advance.

Since it's still under warranty, why in the world would you come here instead of bringing in to your dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by lakensea View Post
      Since it's still under warranty, why in the world would you come here instead of bringing in to your dealer?

Thanks for your reply. There are a number of reasons why I posted the issue here.
      1 is that I take pride in the fact that since I bought my first car at 17 years old I have never taken a machine of mine to another mechanic to have it repaired. I may end up doing that if I do not find a resolution in my own testing, or if what I find would be a very expensive problem.
      2 This issue to me is an unusual problem, and I have searched extensively for others who describe these symptoms and have not found much information. I feel that me posting these symptoms here and then later find a resolution, will add to the collective knowledge that these forums are designed for.
      3 There are good and bad shops, good and bad mechanics. I do not know of a shop that I can trust completely and I want to have an idea of what could be going on before I just take a shops word for this issue either way. We have all heard stories of people being told this or that or its normal and just run it. Its my butt out there that could get stranded and I want to have faith in what ever resolution I end up with.

In the next couple days, I will be pulling the head cover off and checking the tappet clearance and general condition of the cam and other components under the cover, and also pulling the lower unit to rule anything out there. I also rarely run the engine each trip to even come close to emptying the fuel tank, and I end up just replacing about two gallons, so I am also going to drain the fuel tank and get some fresh fuel in there to make sure the fuel is as fresh as it can be, and rule that out. Even as I attempt to work this out on my own, I welcome any constructive input others may have on this.

Thanks.

Comment

I have the same engine, and bought it brand new.
        I believe in PM as well.
        I changed my engine oil and filter after about the first 10 hours of use.
        Then again before putting it away for the winter.

I can't say for sure about the noise. May not be anything to worry about,
        but I've been listening to 2 strokes way too long, LOL.
        I do have a video of my motor first start, but the water stirring
        around is drowning out any engine noise. It was probably warmed-up already too.
        Not much help, but please keep us posted. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c72tAwOEpeM
        Last edited by jasper60103; December 3rd, 2019, 03:00 PM.
        '77 Crestliner Voyager Deluxe 16' (semi V), Spartan WondeRoll tilt trailer, '81 Johnson 25 hp, '88 Johnson 30 hp, '87 Evinrude 30 hp

Comment

Originally posted by jasper60103 View Post
          I have the same engine, and bought it brand new.
          I believe in PM as well.
          I changed my engine oil and filter after about the first 10 hours of use.
          Then again before putting it away for the winter.

I can't say for sure about the noise. May not be anything to worry about,
          but I've been listening to 2 strokes way too long, LOL.
          I do have a video of my motor first start, but the water stirring
          around is drowning out any engine noise. It was probably warmed-up already too.
          Not much help, but please keep us posted. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c72tAwOEpeM
          Well just to update you, After thinking back to last year and looking at the video and starting the engine a couple more times I realize that this noise has in fact become louder and more consistent. Until recently the noise was faint and I did not even notice it each time I started the engine in the morning. There is a big difference in hearing something that lasts a couple seconds every couple weeks and having a video to listen to it over and over again. I am not sure when the first time I heard it but it would have been one of those things that wont happen when you want someone else to listen to it.

I am to the point now that I am 99 percent certain that it is in the crankcase so I will have to get it to a shop to get it diagnosed and see about a warranty repair. I will let you know when I find out more. This is the first time I have had a major problem with any of my Suzuki outboards and I hope they stand behind it.
          Last edited by Clawtooth; December 5th, 2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X