F90tlrd charge coil

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a f90tlrd rectifier regulator checks good how do I check charge coil thanks for any help

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You have to test the output peak voltage of the coil at different speeds, and see if they match the specs in the service manual.

tblshur

Rejestered thanks for the quick response is it OK to unplug the regulator/ rectifier and check the yellow wires at the plug thank you

tblshur

Does anyone know if it is OK to disconnect the the regulator/rectifier and read the voltage of the battery charge coil

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I don’t think you’ll get any reading of charge to battery with the rectifier disconnected. This is what normally converts AC to DC to float the charge to the battery.
also known for blowing if you jump or boost start the motor from a running car or alternator type engine. It’s just too much for them.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The charge coil in a Yamaha does not feed electricity to the rectifier/regulator. The lighting coil is what does it.

The procedure in the service manual is to disconnect the connector between the lighting coil and the R/R to measure voltage from the lighting coil. SM tells all about it.

tblshur

Boscoe99 thank you for that info I was trying to look up a part # could only think of charge coil so that probably why I couldn’t find part thanks again I will look for lighting coil part # :facepalm:

tblshur

Boscoe99 after some thought my regulator/rectifier is 3phase therefore it must have a stator to supply the ac voltage for the R/R I can’t find a parts diagram or a Yamaha 90hp 4 stroke service Manuel anyone with info I would appreciate it :)

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The F90TLRD has a stator assembly. It is comprised of a number of components. One of which is the lighting coil. A lighting coil can be a single phase or a three phase device. Does not matter. It still creates AC voltage that is supplied to a rectifier/regulator. In the case of the three phase lighting coil, each phase is measured separately for proper output voltage. At varying RPM's.

Parts diagrams are available all over the innerweb. One of which is yamahaboutboards.com Service manual is available from any Yamaha dealer.

tblshur

Again I thank you for all the info with that I found a pulser coil that I think is the part that supplies voltage to the regulator/rectifier I will contact dealer for service manual have a good week