Yamaha 40 hp tiller IGNITION key issue

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully someone can help. I have a 2000 YAMAHA 40 HP 3 CYLINDER 2 STROKE ELECTRIC START MODEL C40trly. It has what I believe is the yamaha conversion TILLER HANDLE on it. It uses the IGNITION key cylinder off to one side and a stop/kill switch on top of the handle. Issue is the key switch starts up the engine but stays running when you turn key to off. Only way to stop it is to push down on the kill switch on top of the handle. Coming out of IGNITION key cylinder are wires in the color of white, black, yellow, red, brown and 2 bullet connectors which are white and black and plug into the white and black coming from the kill switch. Under the hood is the harness coming from key switch which contains one white wire, one black, one yellow, one red, one brown. The white wire plugs into a white wire coming out of the smaller plugged round connector harness. There is also a larger round harness plug plugged into one end of the smaller harness. There is a loose white wire coming out of the harness with the larger connector. I tried unplugging the white wire which comes from the key harness and plugging it into this loose white wire but all it did was disable the kill switch and the key still didn't turn the engine off. Not sure if maybe it's a bad IGNITION key cylinder assembly or if something isn't hooked up the way it should be. I guess the biggest clue is there is only one white wire coming into the engine from the IGNITION harness from key. I tried unplugging the white connector from the kill switch where it plugs in near the key but that didn't make the key turn off engine either. If anyone can help please I would appreciate it. And if I need to replace the ignition cylinder does anyone know how to look up the right part. I googled key switches and the harnesses don't look like what I need. Thanks

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Here is a link to a similar motor . Looking at the wires coming out of the ignition switch it seems like white connector from kill switch is run into key cylinder then white wire comes out of key cylinder and goes into engine. I think this confirms problem is in IGNITION key cylinder assembly??

Yamaha Outboard Parts by Year 1999 OEM Parts Diagram for Electrical 3 (Tiller Handle) | Boats.net
https://www.boats.net/article//cata...y/year/1999/40tlrx/electrical/3/tiller/handle

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The white wire gets grounded (connected to a black wire) whenever the key is turned to the OFF position or if the kill switch lanyard is pulled.

With a multi-meter check to see if the white wire from the key switch is grounded when the key is off and ungrounded when the key is in the ON or Start position.

Last edited: