Yammie 150TLR Weak stream-alarm-underpowered then popped out of gear

Rrosenbloom

Cadet
engine was running fine, then on the way in running at 4800 rpm, the alarm goes off. I immediately shut it down and let it sit for a few mins. Tried to start and it barely turned over, like the battery was low. Waited a few more mins and it started up normal. I was able to get back, but the motor struggled to get on plane (I’m prepared to be told that was dumb). Got home and changed motor oil, lower unit oil, checked for anything visually obvious. The lower unit oil was low, but no water in it. Test run next morning and I noticed the stream was weak. Got up to plane..still weak stream, then it slipped out of gear and revved way up, so I shut it down again. Restart was same as the previous. First attempt was like low battery - then started fine. Was able to idle back to the ramp no issues. Forward and reverse shifted fine, but stream weak and the motor just sounds a little off. Any ideas....I’m pretty novice at outboard wrenching? Thanks in advance!

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello.

I would put it in forward or reverse gear, then remove the lower unit and first check for clogs in the water lines. Under the top cowling, find where the exit line is and disconnect it from the exit joint. Then blow through it and make sure air comes out the bottom where the pipe connects to the water pump housing. If that's good, then set the lower unit upright and remove disassemble the water pump. Also remove the screens on the lower unit where water is drawn into the unit. Then pour some water down the hole where the pump housing sits and make sure it flows out the bottom.

If you find no clogs, I assume your impeller is worn and needs to be replaced. There's a repair kit they sell for that. Part number is 61A-W0078-A3-00.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
What alarm went off? Sounds like you may have had a high temp issue and the motor went into a limp mode. How old is the water pump/impeller? If the weak stream you're referring to is the water from the pee hole you definitely have a pump or intake problem. The path of the water starts from the intake to the pump to the pee hole to the rest of the motor so that weak stream shows a problem from the beginning of the system. I would fix that known problem first then see what happens before moving onto the next issue.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
**Year is 2007 and it’s a 4 stroke

That would make it an F150. Plus three more letters.

I know that the F and the other letters are hard to type but as Joe Biden would say "come on man!". Help us help you.