2016 Suzuki 9.9hp died and wont restart

johnhmcneely

Recruit
This engine has maybe 20 hours on it and was bought new. Only problem ever was used old fuel once but replaced that and engine worked fine after that. Then recently on the water it started, was adequately warmed up, and ran for about 5 minutes and died and would crank but not restart. No sputtering like it's trying to catch either, like there is no spark. Checked engine fuses and they are intact. Please suggest other troubleshooting steps. On fixed income and hoping to avoid expensive repair bill. Live in Palm Springs, CA area. Thanks.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
is it injector model of 9.9 susuzki?
check if it has spark?
and if fuel delivery is working?

WhyNaut

Recruit
Sounds like water in the fuel or fuel/water separator. Pump some gas into an empty water bottle and let it sit for a few min to see if there is any water build up at the bottom of the bottle. It’ll help rule out water in the system for you. Take 5-10 min over all.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had something similar happen with my 25hp a few years ago. It started and idled fine, and even got me up on plane for a few seconds, then it choked and died. I had made a five hour drive only to have to paddle back to the ramp and go home. Turns out the carb was all gunked up from bad fuel and it just took a couple of minutes for the right sized globs of gunk to dislodge and plug the jets. I had to completely disassemble the carb and clean every passage but it started right up after I did.

Will your engine try to run if you give it a dose of starting fluid? That's one way to tell if it's a spark or fuel problem.

Last edited:

Franklin0

Recruit
Check for spark my spark cable fell off once. Loose wire anywhere? Also once my timing advance linkage came off, it was just hanging there. Look for anything "loose"