2014 Suzuki DF90A runs great for 5 mins under load then not ...

inthesticks352

Recruit
On initial outing this year, motor started losing power gradually then died after about 5 mins of putting in water. Would idle rough but barely so after a quick tow back to my dock, found lots of water in the Racor fuel filter/water separator. Took a sample of gas and found 50/50 fuel & water. Ouch! I think I might have left the fuel cap loose and rain got into tank.

Since I have my own dock, rather than pull boat out of water and drain the under deck tank, I decided to work on it there. So I capped tank line and temporarily installed a portable fuel tank with fresh 93 octane, removed/cleaned the filter base & installed new filter, and purged gas line to engine up to and including first engine fuel filter.

Engine started right up and idled perfect. After warm up, ran motor off idle up to 3000 rpm a couple of times then let it idle for 5 mins or so and shut it down. I was now satisfied that I had resolved the issue.

Came back day later. Started and warmed up motor with no issue and took off. Motor ran with good power and got up on plane then just like last time after like 5 mins started losing power gradually but this time it did not die but ran smoothly but with little power and limited rpm. Using full throttle and turning only 2-3k rpm we limped back against the current back to the dock.

Motor has less than 60 hours and is virtually brand new. Is there anything else I can do without pulling the motor apart? I'd like to drain the Vapor Separator Tank but I can't locate the drain screw behind the intake manifold.

Any ideas and comments are welcome. Thanks!