2004 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke remote warning buzzer

lkrfan

Recruit
After running the motor for 10 or 15 minutes and I slow down to no wake speed or put in neutral and idle the warning buzzer goes off. Also, if I continue to run the motor at higher speeds I lose power. This has been doing this since I bought it new,the dealer could not duplicate the problem, don't think much effort was put into it though.

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello.

I would guess the buzzer is sounding because the engine is overheating after running for a bit. After the engine's computer senses that the cooling water temperature is too high (via the thermosensor), it will stop producing spark in one of the cylinders (which is probably why you see power loss).

Can you see a strong cooling water exit stream while running at 900 rpm or more? If not, I would definitely get the rebuild kit for the water pump and start there. It's not expensive, and removing the lower unit only requires a socket wrench. You might find that your current impeller is damaged or the pump housing isn't sealing properly. I would also replace the thermostat, especially if this engine has been in salt water.

Another thing you can try is getting a temp gun and pointing it at the engine block (near the thermostat) when the buzzer sounds. That will confirm if it actually is overheating or not. If the temp goes higher than about 175F, it's overheating. If it's not overheating, then there might be an electrical issue or the buzzer is sounding because there is low oil pressure. But most of the time, it sounds because the engine is overheating. And the most common reasons that an engine overheats are a bad impeller, unsealed water pump housing, a stuck closed thermostat, or a leak/restriction in one of the cooling lines.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If since new, your thermostat may be stuck shut. Remove it and put it in a pot of water on the stove suspended in the water by a string that you "eased" under the lip of the closed butterfly. With a candy thermometer in the pot of water heat till either you reach and slightly exceed the opening temp...pellet should be stamped or motor manual should ID opening temp.....if it hasn't turned loose of the string and hasn't fallen to the bottom of the pot, it's stuck shut. On my engine the stat opening temp was like 140F and the OT alarm went off at 190F.....not the same engine but an idea as to what kind of temps to expect.

lkrfan

Recruit
I have already replaced the impeller and and always get a good stream of water. I did check the tstat but only checked to see if it opens, I will recheck the tstat and the proper temp. Thanks for the info