1996 Yamaha 2-stroke 115hp tilt-trim doesn't work.

Knightshift

Recruit
Ok, so here's my problem. Nearly 2 years ago I made the big mistake of leaving my engine trimmed in the down position. I've pretty much neglected the boat ever since. A few weeks ago I decided to get to work on it to get it ship-shape again. I put in a brand new battery, and made sure all the wiring looked ok. But when I went to raise the engine, the tilt-trim using the rocker switch on the throttle won't work at all. The other accessories work ok, but the tilt-trim is just plain dead. This '96 Yamaha (C115TLRU) seems to be just about the only motor on the bleeping planet that doesn't have a tilt-trim switch on the engine cowling, so that's not an option. I can't tell if it's a wiring problem or a problem with the tilt-trim motor. I tried to use the release valve screw to manually raise the engine, but the screw is completely seized up. I've tried soaking it repeatedly with WD-40, but to no avail, and I fear that I've started to strip out the screw head. With the engine trimmed down, I can't get at the tilt trim motor. I can't trailer the boat with the engine in this position since there's practically no clearance to the ground. Does anyone have any idea for how to get the motor tilted up without destroying anything? My only other thought was to somehow jack up the entire trailer and remove the lower unit (that's assuming the trim tab bolt isn't also completely frozen up). But with the engine completely vertical, I don't know if I can even jack it up high enough to pull out the lower unit. I just want to get this thing to where I can trailer it to a shop to get everything overhauled.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
try putting power direct from the battery to the solenoids and see what happens.