Yamaha 300F Trim Making Noise

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

My 2016 yamaha 300f makes a squealing sound when I raise the motor while underway going over 1000-1500 rpm, no noise when it trim it up while at idle, neutral or when motor is off, no noise when I lower it, no visible leaks, rams are greases on top, zerks have been greased. I never checked trim fluid level b/c it is such a new motor (less then 300 hours). My next move is to check trim level. Has anyone experienced this? Also, how could trim fluid level drop without a leak? I have watched videos of the ram tops and pads lacking grease and that is not the sound. Dealer says it could be trim motor caveating b/c there is air in the system. Motor is under warranty until end of July but service guys said if I bring it in and it is making noise b/c of low trim fluid then it is a maintenance issue and not covered under warranty. Any advice appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If the trim reservoir is like Mercury, remove the rubber/plastic cap and if the fluid isn't even with the neck, ala if you added any more it would spill over, add till it does. Rule of thumb there is if clear use marine PTT fluid. If red use auto ATF. Once full, run the engine full up to full down several times.

If that doesn't solve your problems then hustle it to your dealer quick.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Texasmark, I appreciate the advice, will get back when I figure it out. I have already made an appointment to see dealer.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE:

So I checked the trim fluid and it was up to the top and clear red (no milky water intrusion). There was no way I could add any fluid. I did hear a slight air release when I opened the cap. I also greased the ram ends and the pads on the motor with OMC triple guard marine grease. Now the noise is intermittent. The odd thing is that it only makes the noise when I trim the motor up at about 1000-1100 RPM, when I am going faster it does not make any abnormal noise. Did I get some air out by opening up the cap? I would think the motor would be under more strain when I try to trim it up at higher rpm and therefore make noise but that is not the case. Also, Is seems to make the noise less often. For example, the first time I try to trim it up at around 1000 rpm it makes noise but if I do it repeatedly it lessens or stops. My next plan is to loosen the trim fill cap and tilt it up and down and down a few times. It is still under the 3 year standard warranty and I have an upcoming appointment with a dealer but do not want to pay 160$ an hour for a tech to tell me I just need to use the boat more and let the air work itself out. Not sure what to do next. I will attach video in a bit . Any advice or thoughts always appreciated.