Yamaha 250 4 stroke 2006 temp gauge

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
is it possible to get a gauge that actually shows you what the temp of the engine really is or am I stuck with just a high temp alarm? I have a 270 coastal with twin 250s on it I have had it about a year or so now and I don't like the fact that I can't see what's really going on.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Take a couple of pictures of the water jackets, looking from the rear,where the spark plugs are located and post them.

Usually engines have a brass ⅛" pipe plug on the water jacket; head that covers the cylinder (on V engines, could have one on each head) made specifically for the purpose you desire. Go to a marine supply house (www has several) and get yourself a temp gauge suited for the purpose and done deal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’d take water pressure gauges over temp.

Instant feedback on the condition of the cooling system.

See a pressure drop immediately if I suck something up. Confirm thermostat operation. Monitor idle water pressure to determine condition of water pump.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never thought of that , Thanks

Temp gauges make sense when dealing with a closed loop cooling system but not a raw water system where your primary concern is flow / pressure.

Sensitive enough to confirm the thermostats are open or closed. No more guessing when it's time to change the water pump.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Temp gauges make sense when dealing with a closed loop cooling system but not a raw water system where your primary concern is flow / pressure.

Sensitive enough to confirm the thermostats are open or closed. No more guessing when it's time to change the water pump.

The other thing is that the installation is simple with a hose barb in the engine and a tube to a dash mounted indicator, readily available at Marine Dealers or www outlets.

cptbill

Ok, thanks guys. Not really sure I understand the whole pressure gauge thing but I will research it and learn it

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Some think water pressure is more important.
Some think water temperature is more important.
Some think they are equally as important.
Some think they both are not necessary.

You can have it all if you wish. Including engine temperature if you have an NEMA 2000 MFD.

cptbill

Rodger that, I'll take that in to consideration, Thanks