Help... F225 Oil Pressure Alarm at high rpms

CHSEdgewater

Recruit
I’m looking for help diagnosing this oil pressure issue. If I keep rpms at or under 4400, it runs w no issue. When it’s brought passed that speed It will run for a few minutes until an alarm sounds and a black bar flashes over the oil symbol, and seems to go into safe mode. Simply turning the ignition on and off and the problem seems to go away

I have checked oil oil and it is very clean. Could it be an issue with the oil pressure sending unit, or maybe a oil pressure relief valve?

2003 Yamaha F225 with roughly 900 hours

thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What I would do, knowing nothing about your engine: Get a brass T of the size of your pressure sensor pipe threads and suitable adapters and a suitable pressure gauge (0-100 PSIG) and either remove your sensor and plug in the gauge or Tee the connection, adding your gauge. Make a test run having someone monitoring the gauge while you drive. Come back with the results of pressure vs RPM and max RPM for your engine.

CHSEdgewater

Recruit
What I would do, knowing nothing about your engine: Get a brass T of the size of your pressure sensor pipe threads and suitable adapters and a suitable pressure gauge (0-100 PSIG) and either remove your sensor and plug in the gauge or Tee the connection, adding your gauge. Make a test run having someone monitoring the gauge while you drive. Come back with the results of pressure vs RPM and max RPM for your engine.

Thanks Texas

Has anyone else ever experienced this on these Yamaha V6’s ? Is it at all a common or documented issue? I had looked all over the web and all I can find is possibly a oil pressure release valve getting stuck closed or maybe a faulty oil pressure sending unit.
The fact thy it only happens over 4500 rpms makes me think pressure relief valve..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Texas

Has anyone else ever experienced this on these Yamaha V6’s ? Is it at all a common or documented issue? I had looked all over the web and all I can find is possibly a oil pressure release valve getting stuck closed or maybe a faulty oil pressure sending unit.
The fact thy it only happens over 4500 rpms makes me think pressure relief valve..

Pressure relief should kick in way before 4500 rpms......but you don't know for sure till you try it.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Texas

A valve that is stuck closed would result is excessive oil pressure. Not low oil pressure.

Some one, some where, has had a low oil pressure problem with a Yamaha F250. The symptoms might have been the same as yours but the core problem could have been completely different. Knowing what fixed some other motors' problem can send one on a wild goose chase. Down the rabbit hole.

As the man said, find out if there is really a low oil pressure issue (installation of a mechanical gauge) or if it is an indication problem. It could be worn bearings, failing oil pump, diluted oil, bad sensor, bad wiring, bad reference voltage to the sensor, etc..