2005 Suzi DF115 guidance needed

Hi guys - pretty much a noob here, having just bought a 17' StarCraft Fishmaster 170 a bout 6 weeks ago. I'm looking to replace the original Force 75 on it with a newer used 4-stroke, or an E-Tec if I can find one for a decent price. I'm currently considering a 2005 Suzuki DF115 with 390 hrs on it, some saltwater use, seller says it is in good shape and runs well, but doesn't have much info on it other than the serial number (11501F-511090). He is actually selling it for the owner, who acquired it used himself. the price is right at a little over $3000, but I am concerned about the exhaust issue I've read about on several forums. Can anybody here share their insights on the motor, and whether it would be worth the 10-hr roundtrip drive to get it? Should I pass on it and wait for an E-Tec or another motor? Thanks in advance, all :)

robert graham

Admiral
Anything wrong with the Force motor?...maybe with a little care and maintenance it could make you a good motor...

Meh. The Force is a decent unit and has been well taken care of, but it's underpowered for the boat - plus it's also not allowed on the biggest and closest lake to my house (2-strokers are verboten there unless they meet 2006 or later EPA emissions standards). I want to take the boat out in the Sound (Puget) for crabbing and salmon and I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting my life to the Force (no pun intended but certainly an awesome bonus LOL) if things turned nasty quickly.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Your best bet is to avoid a salt water usage engine if at all possible, and the older one is the more you should avoid it. I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast so I've BTDT. Next you need to experience the engine in operation, even if you have to spend the night in a motel hear it in operation. This stuff about "well it was running when I parked it" just doesn't get it. Your first question to be answered "truthfully" is why is it for sale?

On pricing, go to Craigs List, boats, for sale by owner, geographic area of your interest, or look at ebay listings to get a price idea. Obviously time does it's thing to equipment, but equipment that cosmetically appears to be cared for, usually is internally cared for too and the converse!!!!!

Thanks Texasmark, all good points. Aside from hearing/seeing it run, the motor cosmetically appears to be in good shape and seems to have been taken care of, and is def priced to sell. Buyer says he is selling because the motor came on a boat he purchased and he wants to go bigger.

I've done my homework, which is why I'm specifically asking about the issue I've heard about pre-2008 Suzi's having exhaust corrosion problems. Everything else about the motor points to it being a good unit, tho I would certainly check the compression and see it run first, and intend to do so unless reliable feedback here convinces me otherwise.

Thanks for your advice too on learning the boating ropes, been doing my homework there as well :)