Tricking the Yamaha 2 stroke

MTBoats

Cadet
on my 90hp 80s model Yamaha I need to switch to 50 to 1 mix, but don't want to undo all the mechanicals. If I simply disengage tthe oiler advance lever that opens up the valve to the inside the cowling oil supply for more oil when throttling up. won't that simply allow the unit to continue to oil at an idle rate, even when running almost always above Idle to WOT?
That way, I am hoping to not have to mechancially remoe the oiler and all that entails,,,just have a bit more oil at times, like at startup with no damage or underoiling possible. Thanks for any input.

BTW, anyone know what these little colored wires with connectors mean inside the cowl that were disconnected when the motor was taten off another boat? Photo attached...thanks

Attachments

• photo312476.jpg
    photo312476.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Likely best to do it properly and block off...but it’s not unusual for some to loop the lines out into a recirc type idea.
Or remove the drive shaft from the pump. Keep enough oil in the tank to stop alarm or cable tie the float up.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Properly would mean not doing it.

Why do you "need" to remove the oil injection system? They never fail.

MTBoats

Cadet
I guess I am old school and have had outboard mechanics say failures happen on Johnson, Evinrudes most, but also on Yamahas that are older, or brittle lines crack etc....at 30 plus years old, I just thought mix is bullet proof.....I just did not want to spend ant extra money or time tearing apart the pump, buying a block plate,,,and then second guessing my work...figured I could trick the system and mainly do mix.....
Appreciate all input.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
on my 90hp 80s model Yamaha I need to switch to 50 to 1 mix, but don't want to undo all the mechanicals. If I simply disengage tthe oiler advance lever that opens up the valve to the inside the cowling oil supply for more oil when throttling up. won't that simply allow the unit to continue to oil at an idle rate, even when running almost always above Idle to WOT?
That way, I am hoping to not have to mechancially remoe the oiler and all that entails,,,just have a bit more oil at times, like at startup with no damage or underoiling possible. Thanks for any input.

BTW, anyone know what these little colored wires with connectors mean inside the cowl that were disconnected when the motor was taten off another boat? Photo attached...thanks

I did my Merc just by removing the oil pump, pulling the gear and shaft out and returning the pump to where I found it on the side of the engine block. Wasn't having a problem, just slept better at night with a 10+ year old engine.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Properly would mean not doing it.

Why do you "need" to remove the oil injection system? They never fail.

Kind of agree. The pump itself never really fails on these engines....but the fittings and lines sure do, if you don’t t keep an eye on them.