Difficulty installing new Yamaha F25 or Suzuki DF30?

opencage

Cadet
How difficult would it be to install a Yamaha F25LWTC or Suzuki DF30ATL2? I know this is a relative question. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and not afraid of the idea, but don't want to throw away $4500. This would be on a 1963 Boston Whaler 13. What would the process be from open box to on the water? Any tips not included in the manual? Anything I need to do or worry about to maintain warranty? Or is this this kind of thing that is inexpensive enough or important enough to let the pros do it?

matt167

Captain
If remote control. It has to be PDI and rigged by the dealer for warranty to take effect. So pretty easy.

opencage

Cadet
Does anyone have a rigging or setup manual for either of these motors I could check out?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Correct - no PDI, no warranty. Any dealer that sells you a crated remote control engine is in breach of their contract with the manufacturer. Good chance they might not honor any agreement to you. Why do business with someone dishonest when you can have it properly installed by an trustworthy local dealer.

matt167

Captain
Central Marine actually will ship a Yamaha remote engine under the stipulation you need to have it PDI by a Yamaha service center. Some reason, I might see that get a bit muddy and start a bad relationship with another dealer..

Prices will vary very little. Dealers want your business especially in the busy season. But a quote you get from a dealer might actually be hung on the transom with a lake test price not just the bare motor

jasper60103

Commander
How difficult would it be to install a Yamaha F25LWTC or Suzuki DF30ATL2? I know this is a relative question. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and not afraid of the idea, but don't want to throw away $4500. This would be on a 1963 Boston Whaler 13. What would the process be from open box to on the water? Any tips not included in the manual? Anything I need to do or worry about to maintain warranty? Or is this this kind of thing that is inexpensive enough or important enough to let the pros do it?

FWIW. I bought my new Suzuki DF30A online last summer. The motor was shipped directly to me. I also bought a new tracker boat too. The tracker dealer installed my Suzuki motor for minimum shop rate. I think it was something like $65. My motor is a tiller though.

opencage

Cadet
I spoke with a local dealer. He said both of these are fairly basic installs and can be done DIY with the warranty still intact because they're considered portable. They would include the rigging manual if I bought from them and would check my work if desired. Several of the other websites I emailed had the same response. This dealer quoted me at $450 for installation including mounting, control cables set up, steering rigging, tach install, and water test. This sounded fair to me and worthwhile as a way to protect my investment and establish a good dealer relationship.

I think if it was a tiller, I'd be more willing to do it myself.

One thing that I am most worried about was making sure I didn't mess up filling it with oil.