2002 225 OX66 2 stroke

Rich672

Cadet
Hello. Was out in the boat running along and all of the sudden lost RPM from 4500 all the way down to an idle. It started idling rough and stalled. Finally got it started and it idled along at 600 RPM and shut off again. Now it will start but just coughs runs rough and then shuts down. Had to get towed in. Any ideas??

Rich672

Cadet
Little history. Just bought the boat and engine. I was running it down from Atlantic City to Lewes Delaware. Stopped for gas and it took 50 gallons. It was full when I left. After I got gas I ran i ran on idle for about 2 miles then took off. After about 3 miles the engine lost power and stalled...

scoflaw

Ensign
Maybe you lost a piston..compression ? Spark/fuel ? Need more info than that

Rich672

Cadet
Yes. I emptied the fuel/water separator filter when it happened then after back at the dock I emptied it again into a clear container and the fuel showed no water. This weekend I will empty the VST tank and check for water then have a master technician look at it. Probably diagnose it in a short time. 560 hours on an engine and lose a piston does not put a good taste in my mouth about Yamaha products. I will be sure to post back with what I find....

Rich672

Cadet
Just got a call. Technician said I lost a cylinder.
Connecting rod through the block. 560 hours on the engine and it’s scrap. Asked if I wanted a price on a new F250. I said no thanks.
Maybe look at the G2 HO.Something that has a little power.

Rich672

Cadet
G2 looked like a real state of the art engine but was referred around and ended up at a Suzuki Dealer.
Got a great deal from Danny’s marine in Cambridge Maryland. DF300. Plenty of grunt for the Triton. Will report back after they mount it. Said 4 weeks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
G2 looked like a real state of the art engine but was referred around and ended up at a Suzuki Dealer.
Got a great deal from Danny’s marine in Cambridge Maryland. DF300.
Very little Evinrude support in the area. Can buy parts for Yamaha at grocery story. Local support for Suzuki is growing.

Danny’s has a good local reputation for price and support