1985 Yamaha 90HP two stroke with oil injection

MTBoats

Cadet
I bought an old boat for the 90hp outboard and aj putting it on another boat. It has oil injection and the oil sits inside the cowling.
I ran it before pulling it, and it ran pretty nicely.

However, now that I am putting it on another boat, I hooked up the electric starter cable and the main electicals from the shifter, and the main cable to the battery. The power lift works fine.

I want to run it before I try to figure out the several tiny wires we uunplugged inside the cowling that, I assume, go to instruments on the dash etc.....

Will the motor still pump oil okay, or do I need to run it on 50/1 mix to be safe etc....I want to verify that the motor will work well on the water before spending time and money hooking up the various instruments. (I would like to know what those small wires each does at some point....

Any advise from those that know these two stroke oililng systems if much appreciated.
Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Best to run a 50:1 mixture until you determine the oiling system is working...won't hurt a thing...just a bit more smoke...

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
There is nothing electrical in a 90 HP two stroke that will prevent oil from getting to the motor. Gravity and a mechanical pump are what does it.

The wires that you mention, what colour are they and do they have connectors attached to them.

MTBoats

Cadet
Thank you,,,,yes they have little connectors and I will look for colors tomorrow and report back on that...

MTBoats

Cadet
It has a group of four small wires with connectors and the colors are brown, orange, black, and pinkish/beige.
A seperate wire is green with connector.
Any help on what these each mean is great.

MTBoats

Cadet
Attached photo.....ot wires in question.

but,,,,one more question for anyone with oiling experience....I was wondering if on the Yamaha, I could simply pinch off the oil supply and run 50/1 vs. double oiling, or, having to take the entire unit oiling unit off and put plates in etc? Wouldn't that simply cause the maching to run as though it was oiling without all the dissambly effort or $ and keep the resivoir full so no low oil alarm,,,,, just tricking the system. I really would rather run 50/1 on this old gal....Evinrudes were easy to disengage and they all ran excelent on 50/1 after.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo312476.jpg
    photo312476.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0