Suzuki DT65 volt readings to TPS.

Starting a new thread to ask a quick question

if the manual says that the volts from the Throttle position sensor should be on idle 0.44 to 0.55 volts
and on WOT should be 2.7volts. or higher

and my results are on idle 1.8 volts
and on WOT are 4.5 volts

Would this mean my TPS is not working. I seem to be over 1 volt higher than spec at idle

I have tried to turn down the volts on idle but can't go below 1.8 volts.

Also I have tried to test for OHM resistance by touching the pins to the power and return , power to ground ect but no ohm readings. If the three wires are sending their own signal at diffrent times , then is it Correct that the OHM test wouldn't work and can only be tested by voltage.

NCSU4x4

Cadet
I have been looking for ways to test these too and keep coming up blank. All I keep getting is the factory manual method of applying voltage. I also have seen where others state it is a potentiometer but if that was all it is, it would be easy to check with ohms.

Yes, I have figured out how to do it and the manual shows it can only be tested by volts as they each have their own circuit. Meaning on this engine no OHm. volts test is
Black and red provide power. Green sends signal and black is ground.
To test you need to rig up a 12 volt source ( car battery ). I used a cuple of crocodile clips with a wire out of any old thing I had laying about. Put the positive wire of battery to the black and red wire /pin on tps plug. Then neg to black wire. Put multimeter to ground black and then red to the green wire. Your readings should be 0.44 to 0.55 on low idle. and 2.7 or higher when turning the tps. If you can't make this range you need a new one. If any dips or drops, you need a new one, you can turn it up or down if your off slightly off a bit by removing rubber grommet on the side of tps and use a flat ended electrical ( small ) screwdriver to turn very small amount.
This had me stumped for ages. Going through all the usual carb cleaning plugs checking coils ect.
Symptoms where surging or bogging down at the point of going onto plane.
Good luck and hope this helps someone.

I've went now and bought ANOTHER dt65 non runner. So no doubt, I will be back soon. For more help myself.

If anyone wants to check out some Suzuki DT repairs and see how we are getting on with the Suzuki Non Runner, and maybe give us some help and advice Check us on YouTube.

Northern Ireland Fishing reports.

https://youtu.be/zZCfF3AOwuI

NCSU4x4

Cadet
I have been checking mine exactly the same way... both of them. Both of them have failed in a manner giving full line voltage at idle and then dropping 3.5-4V when going to full throttle.

I will order one tomorrow in hopes of only having to put these carbs on once.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I have been looking for ways to test these too and keep coming up blank. All I keep getting is the factory manual method of applying voltage. I also have seen where others state it is a potentiometer but if that was all it is, it would be easy to check with ohms.

A TPS is a potentiometer. It can be checked for ohms but since the ECU/CDI is not looking for an ohm value, what's the point?The ECU/CDI is looking for a voltage.

The ohm values could be correct but if the voltage is not correct for some other reason then the motor is probably going to set a fault code. Or not run worth a flip.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, I have figured out how to do it and the manual shows it can only be tested by volts as they each have their own circuit. Meaning on this engine no OHm. volts test is
Black and red provide power. Green sends signal and black is ground.
To test you need to rig up a 12 volt source ( car battery ). I used a cuple of crocodile clips with a wire out of any old thing I had laying about. Put the positive wire of battery to the black and red wire /pin on tps plug. Then neg to black wire. Put multimeter to ground black and then red to the green wire. Your readings should be 0.44 to 0.55 on low idle. and 2.7 or higher when turning the tps. If you can't make this range you need a new one. If any dips or drops, you need a new one, you can turn it up or down if your off slightly off a bit by removing rubber grommet on the side of tps and use a flat ended electrical ( small ) screwdriver to turn very small amount.
This had me stumped for ages. Going through all the usual carb cleaning plugs checking coils ect.
Symptoms where surging or bogging down at the point of going onto plane.
Good luck and hope this helps someone.

I've went now and bought ANOTHER dt65 non runner. So no doubt, I will be back soon. For more help myself.

If anyone wants to check out some Suzuki DT repairs and see how we are getting on with the Suzuki Non Runner, and maybe give us some help and advice Check us on YouTube.

Northern Ireland Fishing reports.

https://youtu.be/zZCfF3AOwuI

It would be extremely unlikely for a black wire to be used for electrical power. Black is almost always reserved for ground.

NCSU4x4

Cadet
It would be extremely unlikely for a black wire to be used for electrical power. Black is almost always reserved for ground.

Black with a red stripe is certainly power from the CDI here and the straight black is ground. Green with red strip is the signal back to the CDI.